[ Home  |  FAQ-Related Q&As  |  General Q&As  |  Answered Questions ]

    Search the Q&A Archives

...switch an existing 110W plug into 22OW to run a...

<< Back to: Electrical Wiring FAQ (Part 1 of 2)

Question by frank
Submitted on 2/18/2004
Related FAQ: Electrical Wiring FAQ (Part 1 of 2)
Rating: Rate this question: Vote
How do I switch an existing 110W plug into 22OW to run a European appliance?

Answer by rasberry
Submitted on 4/13/2004
Rating:  Rate this answer: Vote
You have to go to a store like Wal-mart or something similar.  They should have it in the travel section or in electronics.


Answer by SwordOU
Submitted on 4/19/2004
Rating:  Rate this answer: Vote
Depending on what you're using overseas, you may need an electrical converter or a transformer.
-- The first step is to look at the input information of whatever it is that you're using overseas. If the input value is 110/240 volts (VAC)(or similar), then your appliance is 'dual voltage', and will operate on both US and foreign current. (Sometimes there's a toggle switch to switch back and forth between US and foreign current).
-- If the appliance input value says only 110 VAC, then you will need to convert (aka "step down") the current, or you'll fry your appliance. Not fun.
-- If your appliance is something you use only for a few minutes at a time (hair dryer, electric razor, etc.) then a current converter should suffice, but you'll need to buy a converter appropriate to the wattage of your appliance, or you may fry your appliance anyway. For example, most hair dryers are from 800-1850 watts, and thus you would require a high-wattage converter.
Most curling irons, however, are below 50 watts, so a low wattage converter will suffice.
You can get converters at travel stores like The Savvy Traveller, or sometimes at electronics stores like Radio Shack or Best Buy.
-- Most modern electronic devices (laptops, battery/camera chargers) nowdays are dual-voltage.. However, it pays to check. If your appliance isn't dual-voltage, and you want to use it continually or for periods longer than an hour or so, you will need a transformer rather than a converter. Transformers are larger, heavier and more expensive, but are also safe for continual use. Converters heat up and will eventually burn out if you try to use them for long periods.
-- If you're using a European appliance in the US, it's usually very difficult to find a suitable converter in the States. In this case, a "Step-UP" transformer is needed to produce enough current for the appliance to function. The same rules about dual-voltage and wattage apply when bringing foreign appliances to the US.
-- You can usually find transformers in the same places you can buy converters.
-- Please note that you will also possibly need a plug adapter to make your appliance's plug fit into an outlet, as foreign outlets are often different from ours.


Answer by cowboy
Submitted on 5/28/2004
Rating:  Rate this answer: Vote
if it is voltage your taking about than you will have to rewire your outlet to a double pole breaker in your electrical panel make sure the device can be operated on 60hz most European equip. is 50hz


Answer by rick
Submitted on 11/22/2004
Rating: Not yet rated Rate this answer: Vote
we will be trying the double pole breaker, 2 110V 15Amp circuits to supply the 220, on an italian fridge, the motor is 50 cycles only. what might happen? this is a question until we plug it in and it becomes an answer


Your answer will be published for anyone to see and rate.  Your answer will not be displayed immediately.  If you'd like to get expert points and benefit from positive ratings, please create a new account or login into an existing account below.

Your name or nickname:
If you'd like to create a new account or access your existing account, put in your password here:
Your answer:

FAQS.ORG reserves the right to edit your answer as to improve its clarity.  By submitting your answer you authorize FAQS.ORG to publish your answer on the WWW without any restrictions. You agree to hold harmless and indemnify FAQS.ORG against any claims, costs, or damages resulting from publishing your answer.


FAQS.ORG makes no guarantees as to the accuracy of the posts. Each post is the personal opinion of the poster. These posts are not intended to substitute for medical, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. FAQS.ORG does not endorse any opinion or any product or service mentioned mentioned in these posts.


<< Back to: Electrical Wiring FAQ (Part 1 of 2)

[ Home  |  FAQ-Related Q&As  |  General Q&As  |  Answered Questions ]

© 2008 FAQS.ORG. All rights reserved.