See also 376. SOCIETY .
- an imaginary place where the conditions and quality of life are unpleasant. The opposite of Utopia.
- the precepts and opinions of Etienne Cabet and his followers, who settled communistic utopias in the U.S. during the 19th cent., as Nauvoo, Illinois. — Icarian, n., adj.
- a state in which the worst possible conditions exist in government, society, law, etc. Cf. Utopia.
- 1. name of an imaginary island; subject and title of a book by Sir Thomas More, that had a perfect political and social system.
- 2. ( l.c. ) any ideal place or situation.
- 1. the views and habits of mind of a visionary or idealist, sometimes beyond realization.
- 2. impracticable schemes of political and social reform. — utopian, utopianist, utopist, n., adj.