Anaerobic infections

An anaerobic infection is caused by bacteria which cannot grow in the presence of oxygen. These bacteria are called anaerobic bacteria or anaerobes. Anaerobic bacteria can infect deep wounds, deep tissues, and internal organs wherethere is little oxygen. These infections are characterized by abscess formation, foul-smelling pus, and tissue destruction.

Anaerobic bacteria grow in places which completely, or almost completely, lack oxygen. They are normally found in the mouth, gastrointestinal tract, and vagina, and on the skin. Anaerobic bacteria can cause an infection when a normal barrier, such as skin, gums, or intestinal wall, is damaged due to surgery, injury, or disease. Usually, the immune system kills any invading bacteria,but sometimes the bacteria are able to grow and cause an infection.

Commonly known diseases caused by anaerobic bacteria include gas gangrene, tetanus, and botulism. Nearly all dental infections are caused by anaerobic bacteria.

There are many different kinds of anaerobic bacteria which can cause an infection. Indeed, most anaerobic infections are mixed infections which means thatthere are several different bacteria growing. The anaerobic bacteria that most frequently cause infections are Bacteroides fragilis, Peptostreptococcus, and Clostridium species.

The signs and symptoms of anaerobic infection vary depending on the locationof the infection. In general, anaerobic infections result in tissue destruction, an abscess which drains foul-smelling pus, and possibly fever.

The diagnosis of anaerobic infection is based primarily on symptoms, the patient's medical history, and location of the infection. A foul-smelling infection or drainage from an abscess is diagnostic of anaerobic infection. This foul smell is produced by anaerobic bacteria and occurs in one third to one halfof patients late in the infection. Other clues to anaerobic infection include tissue necrosis and gas production at the infection site. A sample from theinfected site may be obtained, using a swab or a needle and syringe, to determine which bacteria are causing the infection. Because these bacteria can beeasily killed by oxygen, they rarely grow in the laboratory cultures of tissue or pus samples.

The recent medical history of the patient is helpful in diagnosing anaerobicinfection. A patient who has or recently had surgery, dental work, tumors, blood vessel disease, or injury are susceptible to this infection. The failureto improve following treatment with antibiotics that aren't able to kill anaerobes is another clue that the infection is caused by anaerobes. The locationand type of infection also help in the diagnosis.

Diagnostic tests may include blood tests to see if bacteria are in the bloodstream and x rays to look at internal infections. Serious infections may require hospitalization for treatment. Immediate antibiotic treatment of anaerobicinfections is necessary. Laboratory tests may identify the bacteria causingthe infection. Every antibiotic does not work against all anaerobic bacteriabut nearly all anaerobes are killed by chloramphenicol (Chloromycetin), metronidazole (Flagyl or Protostat), and imipenem (Primaxin). Other antibiotics which may be used are clindamycin (Cleocin) or cefoxitin (Mefoxin).

Surgical removal or drainage of the abscess is almost always required. This may involve drainage by needle and syringe to remove the pus from a skin abscess (called "aspiration"). The area would be numbed prior to the aspiration procedure. Also, some internal abscesses can be drained using this procedure with the help of ultrasound (a device which uses sound waves to visualize internal organs). This type of abscess drainage may be performed in the doctor's office.

Complete recovery should be achieved with the appropriate surgery and antibiotic treatment. Untreated or uncontrolled infections can cause severe tissue and bone destruction, which would require plastic surgery to repair. Serious infections can be life threatening.

User Contributions:

vivian ogechi
Report this comment as inappropriate
Aug 14, 2012 @ 4:04 am

Comment about this article, ask questions, or add new information about this topic:

The Content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of Content found on the Website.