See reader questions & answers on this topic! - Help others by sharing your knowledge
From: Bill Nelson  <nelsonb@aztec.asu.edu>
Date: 29 April 1996

Q.     I hear there is a boy who is trying to collect the most
business cards in the world, before he dies, is this true?
        That would make a good project for my scouts...

A.     The boy is now healed and the family has requested an end
to the mail.

News reports stated in 1989 that Craig Shergold, a 9-year-old
English boy diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor, wanted to
be recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records for receiving
the most greeting cards. His wish was fulfilled in 1990 after
receiving 16 million cards.

Shergold's tumor was successfully removed in March 1991.
Several versions of the letter exist, most of which
wrongly claim that the young boy remains terminally ill
and now wants to receive the largest number of business cards.
Internet notes have listed his name as Shirgold, or another
similar name, and his location shifts from state to state.

For further information, and to find out how
  you can help the Make-A-Wish Foundation fulfill wishes see:
  http://www.wish.org
Or contact:
   Make-A-Wish Foundation of America
  100 W. Clarendon, Suite 2200
   Phoenix, AZ 85013-3518
   (800) 722-9474    Fax: (602) 279-0855

User Contributions:

Comment about this article, ask questions, or add new information about this topic:

Top Document: [rec.scouting.*] Newsgroups Help and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ 1)
Previous Document: Are the postings archived?
Next Document: How to handle inflammatory postings

Single Page

[ Usenet FAQs | Web FAQs | Documents | RFC Index ]

Send corrections/additions to the FAQ Maintainer:
nelsonb@aztec.asu.edu (BILL NELSON)

Last Update March 27 2014 @ 02:12 PM