Next Document: 04.04 How can you save News articles into an MH folder?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 02:19:58 -0500

  This bug has been fixed in nmh (as of version 0.20). There are no
  limitations on the length of an entry in the .mh_sequences file.

From: Jerry Peek <jpeek at jpeek.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 1994 00:00:00 -0800

  There is a line length limit in this file. When sequences are
  unbroken (without gaps in numbering), that makes short entries in
  the .mh_sequences file, like this:

    inftex: 72-8000

  But when there are lots of numbering gaps, the entry gets long:

    inftex: 76 79-81 87 95-96 105 109 120 124 135 141 158 163...

  That's when you run into problems, and why it's good to keep the
  folder packed when you can. Simply run "folder -pack +folder".

  If you're refiling a lot of messages in a large folder, you might
  not be able to use sequences. Use backquotes to give the message
  numbers directly to "refile". For example:

    refile +tex/info-tex `pick -to info-tex`

  That can still generate a long list of arguments to the "refile"
  command, and some Unixes can't handle that. In that case, use
  xargs(1):

    pick -to info-tex | xargs refile +tex/info-tex

  If worse comes to worst, fire up a Bourne shell and use a "while"
  loop:

    pick -to info-tex | fmt | while read nums; do
	refile +tex/info-tex $nums
    done

  The fmt(1) command breaks long lines into manageable chunks of 72
  characters or so, splitting arguments at whitespace. When you
  redirect the input of a while loop, a "read" command will read the
  incoming text and store it in a shell variable line by line. This is
  a quick-&-dirty way to write xargs(1) if you don't have it.

Previous Document: 04.02 Can I append MH messages to a GNU Emacs rmail BABYL-format file?
Next Document: 04.04 How can you save News articles into an MH folder?