Search the FAQ Archives

3 - A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M
N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z - Internet FAQ Archives

The FAQ (part 4 of 6)
Section - B4.1 Immigration

( Part1 - Part2 - Part3 - Part4 - Part5 - Part6 - Single Page )
[ Usenet FAQs | Web FAQs | Documents | RFC Index | Property taxes ]

Top Document: The FAQ (part 4 of 6)
Previous Document: B4 COMING TO NEW ZEALAND
Next Document: B4.2 Agricultural Restrictions
See reader questions & answers on this topic! - Help others by sharing your knowledge

B4.1.1  Online Resources to Immigration

Immigration Service
  includes information about Visitor's permit, Student permit, Work permit
  and migrating to NZ

Facts for the Visitor

Christopher Werry has created a 'Moving to New Zealand' web page, which 
has info and links to Info on Immigration, Jobs, Housing, Appliances 
and Kiwi Expressions.  The url is:

NZ Immigration - Information on Migrating to NZ

NZ Immigration Consultants and Advisory Services

NZ Immigration Calculator Version 2 by Mark Cresswell 
Overview of Categories
Wilson White Unofficial Notes


B4.1.2  Visitor's Permit

Visitors to NZ must have a valid passport.  The only exceptions are
children under 16 who are included on the passport of an accompanying
adult.  Passports must be valid 3 months beyond date of departure.  Visas
may be required depending on nationality, purpose of visit, and intended
length of stay.  Visas are not required of US citizens in possession of a
return or onward ticket staying up to 90 days.

Australians and NZers need passports to get into each others countries.
NZers now need visas too, although these tend to be no real difficulty.

To find out more about the Visitor's Visa or Permit and how to
apply for it, please refer to:


B4.1.3  Permanent Residence

The following is from a New Zealand Immigration Service pamphlet entitled
"Applying for Residence in NZ; Self-assessment Guide".  It should be note
that people in NZ unlawfully are ineligible to apply for for residence
(except under certain circumstances).

Migrants can apply for residence under FOUR categories, and need only meet
the requirements of ONE category to 'qualify' for residence.  The four
categories are:

1.  General Category (the points system; awards points against a number of
quality criteria).

2.  Business Investment (applicants are assessed on basis of skills, work
or business experience, and their ability to transfer >NZD 100,000 to NZ.

3.  Family (prospective migrants must have a 'genuine' relationship to NZ
citizen/ resident).

4.  Humanitarian (people with "exceptionally" difficult circumstances,
resolvable only by moving to NZ, providing there's a close family

If one has less than the current requirements of 25 (May 96) points it's
very difficult to get a job/grant money.

To assist you in calculating the points you have, Mark Cresswell offers:

Version 2 of the New Zealand Immigration Calculator for 16-bit Windows, is
now available to download:
filename:  nzcalc20.exe

This program is still FREEWARE, and is targeted at those amongst you who
wish to gain residency in New Zealand.  It covers the following categories
of entry:

General Skills
Business Investement

There is an extensive amount of online immigration information, and the
program will calculate your points score based on the revised immigration
policies.  (Refer to Section  B4.1.1  Online Resources to Immigration )

You are advised to contact your nearest NZ Embassy or NZIS office, to find
out the current Pass Mark (25 according to the immigration office in Chch
10/5/96), and for more detailed info.


B4.1.3.1  Resident Permit

Residency gives you the right to live and work here, but it can lapse if
you're out of NZ for too long (a couple of years I think).  A first permit
is valid for a period of four years from date of issue.  To prevent
individuals from receiving residency and never actually living in the
country, future renewals to a returning residents permit may be issued for
shorter terms, depending on how long the person has actually been resident
in NZ, work status, etc.

A person in New Zealand cannot renew their visitor's permit if they have
applied for residence whilst in the country.  If the Immigration Office
cannot process the application within the validity of the V.P., the
applicant has to leave New Zealand.  The application is forwarded to the
overseas post which deals with the country to which they have returned.  It
is better to apply before going to New Zealand, especially when you take
into account the customs concessions available to first time migrants.
If you are given a visa for residency you have some time to move to nz, but
it pays to come in once within the first 6 months.  This proves you are
taking up permanent residency.  If you provide a good reason, it's possible
to take as much as two years before you move here.

There are 2 types of residence permits; single entry and multiple entry.
If you have single entry it means you have to apply every time you want to
leave to ensure you can come back in.

What you may get is a 1 year or 5 year permanent residency permit.  At the
end of that period, the amount of time you spend in NZ will probably
determine if it is going to be renewed or not.  So if you have not spent
even a year living in NZ by the end of 5 years you better have a good
explanation.  There is probably a minimum.  Check with the department.

What you need to do is be able to explain why you are not permanently
living in NZ (if you are not).  Talk to your nearest NZ counsulate.


B4.1.3.2  Points System

Paul Nixon has provided the following (reformatted) outline of the new
points system.  

"I have listed below what I understand will be the points structure of the
new General Skills Category [formerly the General Category] which will come
into effect in October 1995.


English Language:
Principle applicants to meet a minimum standard of English ie pass the
IELTS General Modual Level 5.  Non-principal applicants aged 16+ must also
meet this standard or pay a fee of $NZ20,000 [refundable if qualification
attained later].

Character & Health:
No change.  Applicants are required to be of good character and health.
Evidence of this by references and medical.


Flatter points structure created.  Ten pts minimum requirement.
Base degree [or equivalent], trade or 3 year diploma/cetificate = 10 pts.
Advanced trade or professional qualification = 11 pts.
Masters degree [or equivalent] = 12 pts.
Statutory resistration for professionals eg. doctors, dentists, vets.


Maximum age = 55
Job Offer; offer of skilled employment = 5 pts.


Settlement Funds:
$100,000 - $200,000 transferred to NZ and readily available = 1 - 2 pts.

Spousal Human Capital:
If spouse/partner has base degree, trade or 3 year diploma/certificate = 1
pt.  Advanced qualifications = 2 points.

New Zealand Work Experience:
Up to 2 pts available for work experience already gained in NZ on a lawful

Family sponsorship = 3 pts, Community sponsorship scrapped.

Under the new system there will not be an automatic points pass mark which
applicants will have to equal or exceed.  But a floating mark which may
change from month to month, no doubt depending upon the "quality" of
applicants at that time.

Clearly the new system makes it much more difficult to get points in the
first place and then much more difficult for applicants to assess if their
points total will be enough to obtain a visa."

User Contributions:

Comment about this article, ask questions, or add new information about this topic:


Top Document: The FAQ (part 4 of 6)
Previous Document: B4 COMING TO NEW ZEALAND
Next Document: B4.2 Agricultural Restrictions

Part1 - Part2 - Part3 - Part4 - Part5 - Part6 - Single Page

[ Usenet FAQs | Web FAQs | Documents | RFC Index ]

Send corrections/additions to the FAQ Maintainer:
Tricia <>

Last Update March 27 2014 @ 02:11 PM