Search the FAQ Archives

3 - A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M
N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z - Internet FAQ Archives

s.c.italian FAQ (CUSTOMS AND STANDARDS) [7/8]

[ Usenet FAQs | Web FAQs | Documents | RFC Index | Counties ]

See reader questions & answers on this topic! - Help others by sharing your knowledge
  If you want to add or change any information in this FAQ,
there are separate editors for the 8 parts. Here is a list
with the names. Sending your contribution to the right person
will speed up the process.

Introduction                Gianluigi Sartori <>
Italy and Internet          Paolo Fiorini <>
Italians in a foreign land  Gianluigi Sartori <>
Italian radio and TV        Gianluigi Sartori <>
Academics                   Gianluigi Sartori <>
Arts and Tourism            Gianluigi Sartori <>
Customs and Standards       Gianluigi Sartori <>
Misc                        Gianluigi Sartori <>


==Q7.1= Can I use my Italian electonic appliances in
======= USA/UK and vice versa?

Last modified: Wed May 22 21:05:17 MET 1996

Per Radio/HiFi non c'e' problema. Per gli USA puo' essere 
necessario (se il dispositivo non e' munito di cambiatensioni) 
utilizzare un trasformatore (per piccole potenze in USA lo si 
trova da Radio Shack per 16 dollari).

Piccoli/grossi elettrodomestici: per gli USA se contengono motori
e' poco probabile che funzionino in quanto la frequenza di rete 
e' diversa (USA 60 Hz, ITA 50 Hz). E' comunque poco conveniente.
TV/VCR: In USA viene impiegato il sistema televisivo NTSC mentre
in Italia e gran parte d'Europa il PAL B/G. In UK e Irlanda viene
utilizzato il PAL I. In Francia e` usato il sistema SECAM
(incompatibile col PAL e con l'NTSC). Il SECAM e` anche usato in quasi 
tutta l'area d'influenza francese (leggi paesi francofoni d'Africa) e 
anche in altre regioni del mondo (ex. URSS, almeno in parte)

NTSC e PAL non sono compatibili tra di loro. Esistono in 
commercio TV e VCR che possono visualizzare sia NTSC che PAL, 
in USA si trovano nelle grosse citta' generalmente in negozi 
gestiti da Indiani (dell'India, non American Indians) i quali 
offrono anche servizi per la conversione di tapes. In USA un 
TV multi-system costa circa il doppio di un TV normale, e 
convertire un tape puo' costare circa $20-$30 per tape. Tapes
non registrati acquistati in USA possono essere utilizzati su
apparecchi europei, mentre cassette o videodischi preregistrati
non possono essere impiegati su VCR/laserdisc europei.

PAL I (UK) e PAL B/G (Ita/Eur) sono parzialmente compatibili.
Sono diversi nella fase di trasmissione/ricezione nella sezione
audio. Un TV italiano visualizzera' i programmi in UK/Eire ma
non si sentira' nulla (e viceversa). Pero' un VCR italiano
collegato via presa SCART o comunque in banda base (cioe' non 
tramite la presa d'antenna) ad un TV inglese (e viceversa) 
funziona perfettamente. Nastri acquistati in UK possono essere
utilizzati e visti in apparecchi europei.

Esistono anche convertitori tra i diversi formati (PAL-SECAM-NTSC)
e i diversi apparecchi(VCRs, TVs, camcoders).
Una interessante www page sul soggetto puo' essere recuperata
al seguente indirizzo:

International Telecommunications Union "Television systems 
   used around the world", Switzerland, ISBN 92-61-02971-X
Also for pecific questions:

==Q7.2= Will electronic devices (phone etc) bought abroad work
======= properly in Italy?

Last modified: August 13 1993

Luigi Semenzato <luigi@paris.CS.Berkeley.EDU> writes:


Most electrical appliances will need a transformer.  Italy's AC is
220V, 50Hz.  U.S. is 110V, 60Hz.  A transformer can bring 220V, 50Hz
to 110V, 50Hz.  The difference between the 50 and 60 Hz is well
tolerated by most appliances (but see below).

Some modern equipment, among which certain models of camcorders and
computers, have a `universal power supply' that will work properly
when plugged anywhere in the world.  Check the voltage and frequency
requirements on the appliance itself.

Some items will not work properly even with a transformer.  The ones I
know of are clock radios that count the AC cycles to keep the time.
They will run 20% slow in Italy (50 minutes in 1 hour).  Transformers
change the voltage, not the frequency.  [Not completely true: there
are AC-DC-AC devices that also change the frequency, but they are not
exactly consumer items, so don't look for them at Radio Shack].

Items with large electric motors of the asynchronous type (electric
fans, for instance) will run 20% slower in Italy.  (The small motors
in devices like printers or compact disk players run on internally
converted DC, so those are no problem).

For those items that can use a transformer, two types are available:
iron-core transformers, and solid-state transformers.

The iron-core type is generally safe with any appliance, but it is
much heavier than the solid-state type.  If the power of the appliance
exceeds about 200W, a iron-core transformer gets rather heavy and it
is usually better to buy it in Italy.

Solid-state transformers are cheaper and much lighter and they are
easily available for power up to 1500W.  They should be used for
resistive loads only: clothes irons, soldering irons, hair driers (the
motor has a slight inductive load, but it's sufficiently small
compared with the heating resistor), light bulbs (without a dimmer!).
A large inductive load (like a food processor) is likely to fry the
solid-state transformer.

Solid-state transformers often have a dirty voltage output and may
destroy the power supplies of computers and other electronic


Most telephone equipment purchased in the U.S. works properly in Italy.
If the equipment needs to be plugged into an electrical outlet, a
110/220 transformer is needed (see the POWER SUPPLIES section above).
The following precautions must be taken:

---for telephone sets and fax machines, make sure that the set has a
tone dial/pulse dial switch (most do).  Most Italian phone lines are
still on the pulse system.  Some are on the tone system: and,
surprisingly, the U.S. tones work for them, even though many (among
which a professor of telecommunications at a famous university)
believe that the European standard is based on different tones.

---answering machines work generally fine, but retrieving messages
from another phone is not always possible, because it doesn't generate
the tones (public phones, for instance, don't).  Battery-operated
pocket tone generators with a dial pad and a speaker are available in
the U.S. and cost between $10 and $20.

---the fax and modem protocol are almost completely standardized and
everything works.  In the standard situation, however, a U.S. modem
will wait for the U.S. ready-to-dial tone before dialing, and will
never do it.  For Hayes-compatible modems (the vast majority) the
dialing command must be changed from ATDT<number> to ATXDP,,,<number>.
The DP means DIAL PULSE (use Dial Tone when possible); the X means
don't wait for the dial tone; and the commas introduce a delay, to
allow for the phone to get ready after unhooking.  Also, the modem
will not recognize the RING and BUSY signals.

---cordless phones work but may be illegal (because of frequency bands
allotments).  Nobody seems to care.  The new 900 MHz systems (they
cost more, at least $300, and claim a wider range) are almost
certainly illegal.  The digital broadband systems (still rare even in
the U.S.) were illegal in 1991, as Italian regulation did not allow
any kind of broadband communication.  Cellular phone sets are useless,
since the local telephone company (SIP) appears to have a monopoly on
cellular communication.


All stereo equipment works fine with a transformer, with one small
exception: the FM radio band in Italy starts at a slightly lower
frequency than the U.S. lower bound of 88 MHz, and a few stations are

The U.S. TV standard (NTSC) and the Italian one (PAL) are not
compatible.  Among various differences, NTSC transmits 30
frames/second, PAL 25 frames/second.  Many electronic stores,
especially those in large cities and the mail-order stores, carry PAL
and multi-system equipment (both PAL and NTSC in various flavors, and
often SECAM too).

Pre-recorded video tapes bought in the U.S. cannot be played on
Italian VCRs (blank tapes are OK), unless both VCR and TV set are of
the multi-system type.  There is also a still rare and relatively
expensive type of VCR that is capable of reading a NTSC tape and
outputting a PAL signal (the conversion is hard, because of the
different number of frames).  Do not confuse this with a cheaper type
that performs a `fake' NTSC-PAL conversion: it outputs a PAL signal at
30 frames/second.  Some PAL TV sets can handle that, usually with a
certain amount of picture distortion (shorter and wider); other can't.

There are also converters for the different standards (PAL-SECAM-NTSC)
and devices (VCRs, TVs, camcoders).
An useful www page about this topic is in :


A video-game unit bought in the U.S. outputs a NTSC signal and will
work only with a NTSC or multi-system TV.  Cartridges, however,
contain only software and should work fine.


Cameras sold in the U.S. often have different model names than those
of identical models sold in Europe.  The Italian distributors will
often not honor a U.S. warranty, unless the owner can prove to be
a citizen or resident of the U.S.

See also question 8.1 in this FAQ section

==Q7.3= How can I import goods from the US to Italy?

Last modified: September 15 1994

* Apparecchiature ricetrasmittenti

Per le apparecchiature ricetrasmittenti (tra cui i cordless phones)
ci sono delle restrizioni sull'importazione.  Alla dogana vengono
sequestrati se ve li trovano in valigia.  Il motivo e' l'omologazione
da parte del ministero PPTT.  Il consiglio (da parte dei doganieri)
e' quello di importare le cose senza dichiararle.  Se il materiale
venisse sequestrato lo potete comunque ritirare in uscita 
dall'Italia o farlo omologare (io scarterei l'ipotesi...).

Se trovano qualcosa di non dichiarato ma per cui non esistono
restrizioni in merito oltre ad una eventuale multa (a seconda
del doganiere) tra tasse doganali e IVA si paga circa il 47%
del valore dichiarato. Il valore deve essere supportato da una
ricevuta per la merce, altrimenti decidono i doganieri il valore.
Se la merce e' usata non si paga l'IVA.

Se sei residente all'estero da piu' di sei mesi hai il diritto di
importare tutto quello che vuoi (come effetti personali) senza 
pagare una lira di sdoganamento.  E' necessario presentarsi in
dogana con una lista degli effetti personali fatta vidimare dal
consolato italiano.

Nota: La radio FM trasmette negli US con una diversa enfasi. Un tuner USA
quindi funziona un poco meno bene in Europa (soprattutto nelle alte 
frequenze). Se la radio e' da poco non fa alcuna differenza, ma se e' molto
costosa e' una cosa da tenere nella debita considerazione.

* Libri

Paolo Bellutta <> writes:

 Tanti di noi stanno rientrando in patria dagli USA, e ho notato
 che non tutti sanno di agevolazioni per spedire libri e riviste.
 L'USPS ha un rate speciale per i libri/riviste/periodici di 67c
 per libbra.  La spedizione si chiama M-bag.  Mettete i libri o
 riviste in uno scatolone (quelli che tengono le risme di carta
 da fotocopiatrice vanno benissimo) scrivete il vostro indirizzo
 e in alto a destra scrivete "Postage paid M-bag", lo portate 
 all'uffcio postale, loro lo mettono in un sacco della posta e
 vi verra' riconsegnato (credo dopo uno o due mesi) a casa vostra
 completo di sacco!  Il limite per un M-bag e' 67 libbre (30Kg).
 Pero' potete fare piu' M-bag.

* Automobili

Per il trasferimento di proprieta' non e' un grande problema.
Ci sono delle formalita' da eseguire, ma in generale al consolato sanno
dare indicazioni. Lo sdoganamento puo' essere fatto senza problemi se
si possiede l'auto da almeno un anno e se si risiede negli USA da almeno 18
si come residente all'estero. Anche questi documenti li rilascia il consolato.
La parte tuttavia piu' difficile e' l'immatricolazione. Infatti per 
immatricolare l'auto in Italia bisogna omologarla, e non e' molto facile, 
soprattutto dal 1 gennaio 1993 con le nuove norme CEE. Se si vuole portare in 
Italia un'automobile bisogna informarsi dal distributore Italiano se possono
rilasciare il "certificato di conformita'" che indica come l'automobile sia 
conforme alle norme italiane. 
Per alcune automobili questo e' possibile, per altre no. Per esempio per l'
Alfa Romeo Duetto e' possibile, mentre per esempio non e' stato possibile
per un mio amico importare una Mazda Miata e per me una Porsche 911 Cabrio.
Per quanto riguarda queste ultime due auto non era possibile farle rientrare
nei limiti delle emissioni inquinanti adesso obbligatorie in Europa, quindi
sarebbe stato impossibile immatricolarle.

Un'ultima nota: sdoganare le auto giapponesi e' piu' complicato in quanto, 
essendo limitato il numero importabile, bisogna richiedere uno speciale 
permesso, che in generale danno ma e' una formalita' in piu'.
Quindi il consiglio e' di essere previdenti e chiedere tutte le informazioni
al distributore in Italia prima di spendere una cifra in una auto
pensando di riportarla. In particolare tenere conto che e' SEMPRE necessario
cambiare fanali anteriori e posteriori, cinture di sicurezza, luci dei freni,
e alcune volte anche il parabrezza.

Carlo Biasutto <> writes:

 Non ho mai spedito auto. Se con il rientro si riacquista la residenza 
 in Italia l'uso di auto con targa straniera puo' portare al sequestro 
 del veicolo, per contrabbando. La re-immatricolazione in Italia e' 
 un processo estremamente complicato e oneroso, in alcuni casi 

 In passato ho affrontato in due occasioni i problemi del rientro
 in Italia e ho sperimentato entrambe le soluzioni - via aerea e via
 nave - per la spedizione delle masserizie. 

 Se puo' essere di aiuto a qualcuno, questa e' stata la mia esperienza. 
 I dati indicati sono orientativi, non essendo aggiornati:
 La soluzione e' decisamente piu' costosa ma i tempi sono ridotti,
 e con essi la possibilita' di furti. Ho effettuato una spedizione via 
 Air Cargo dal Canada all'Italia. La spesa si e' aggirata sui CND$700  
 per un baule il cui sollevamento richiedeva due persone.

 Non avevo la lista consolare del contenuto ma, con il solo certificato
 di iscrizione all'AIRE, lo sdoganamento alla Malpensa si e' risolto in
 pochi minuti. Il carico non era assicurato e gli unici danni sono 
 stati subiti dal baule.

 La soluzione aerea e' indicata per rientri "leggeri", oppure per 
 spedizioni di un certo valore. Ma nel caso di veri traslochi e' 
 inevitabile ricorrere alla spedizione via mare.


 La rivendita di spazio sui containers e' gestita da operatori 
 specializzati, "freight consolidators" sulle pagine gialle, il cui 
 business consiste appunto nel consolidare molte piccole spedizioni.

 * Ho riscontrato variazioni di prezzo notevoli fra i vari operatori, 
 nel mio caso si andava dai $200 ai $700.

 * Il costo dipende solo dal volume totale della spedizione, calcolato 
 come prodotto delle tre dimensioni (particolarmente sconvenienti le
 casse piramidali...). Esiste un volume minimo richiesto, che varia a
 seconda dell'operatore, ma non scende sotto i 30-40 cubic feets.

 * Per facilitare le fasi iniziali e finali del trasporto conviene 
 utilizzare casse si dimensioni limitate. Per minimizzare i costi
 utilizzare casse di dimensioni tali da poter essere accatastate 
 in un unico volume regolare, per esempio un cubo.

 * Alcuni spedizionieri vendono dei contenitori in cartone rinforzati
 sopra e sotto con telai in legno e permettono di riempirli in loco. 
 Utile per chi non dispone di un pick-up: si portano le masserizie 
 sfuse e si butta tutto dentro i contenitori... occhio al peso o si
 deve far l'operazione inversa all'arrivo!

 * Le spedizioni "via mare" comportano molti passaggi di mano fra
 spedizionieri diversi, inclusi tratti via terra, lungo itinerari
 non noti al momento della spedizione. I rischi aumentano ed e'
 consigliabile l'assicurazione. Esempio:

 1) San Francisco -> Los Angeles       : terra       
 2) Los Angeles -> Panama -> Anversa   : mare
 3) Anversa -> Milano                  : terra

 * Non tutte le citta' italiane sono offerte come possibile destinazione.
 Solo alcune - provviste di dogana - sono previste nelle relazioni dei
 freight consolidators.

 * L'arrivo della spedizione viene notificato al nominativo indicato. 
 Credo che tutto sia piu' semplice se la persona indicata e' la stessa
 che rientra in Italia. Sdoganamento e trasporto finale possono essere 
 gestiti in proprio o tramite spedizioniere.

 * Nel mio caso sono ricorso ai servizi di uno spedizioniere:
 - i 120 Km finali sono costati piu' del tratto San Francisco - Milano
 - una cassa e' stata svaligiata nei magazzini doganali
 - lo sdoganamento ha richiesto due mesi

 * La procedura di sdoganamento e' kafkiana: uno che torna dalla 
 America deve per forza essersi portato la radio... mi sono visto 
 percio' richiedere l'abbonamento TV per poter sdoganare... 

 * Ho fatto notare che la lista delle masserizie in esenzione doganale,
 con tanto di timbri consolari, NON comprendeva TV. Mi e' stato detto
 che stavo complicando la pratica... si sarebbe dovuta verificare
 l'effettiva assenza dell'oggetto non dichiarato! Soluzione:
 abbonamento RADIO su CCP, intestato a un parente che ha gia' la TV.

 * L'assicurazione USA ha rimborsato (con un solo sollecito) il 
 materiale trafugato, fra cui una stampante. Esiste comunque una 
 franchigia. I corrieri italiani forniscono copertura assicurativa 
 contro i furti, ma i danni devono essere notificati alla consegna, 
 cosa difficile se il furto non e' evidente al momento.

Furio Ercolessi <> writes:

* Shipping by air cargo

Air cargo is a quite effective way to ship stuff quickly across
the ocean.  The caveat is that you have to carry the goods by
yourself to and from the two airports involved, and handle the
customs procedure by yourself.  Typical delivery time may be around 72
hours or less.  Keep in mind that leaving things "parked" at the final
airport is not free.  For example, Venezia charges L.19/kg/day,
unless you pick up your things within three days from the
arrival.  Pack your things into any random assembly of boxes
of whatever size or weight, but it is strongly recommended
to pack very well (use foam, and nested boxes with foam in between
for delicate equipment such as bombs, kalashnikovs etc), and
protect from humidity (large garbage bags are great), just in case
the plane makes a dive into the ocean along the way.  Use strong
tape such as 'Duct' (sp?), seal all holes.  No one will ever care
to orient your boxes so that the 'up' arrow points upwards,
and 'Fragile' labels are simply pathetic in their ingenuity.
But in general the handling method is gentle enough to avoid
damage, unless accidents occur.

It is essential to shop around, as there are significant price
differences among different airlines.  As a guideline, I enclose
the results of my (not exhaustive) search made on january 1994,
and relative to a US->Italy shipment for a total weight of kg 200.
I guarantee that some of the information presented below is
wrong, and that I do not know which is right and which is wrong :-)

If you are moving back after a period spent working in the US,
you must go to the italian consulate with a list of all the
stuff you are shipping, including serial numbers for all
electronic and photographic equipment.  They will prepare
a form that you will present to the italian customs to claim
tax exemption (it really works!).  The list does not need to
make reference to the individual boxes in your shipping (so
that you can easily do it in advance), it is not necessary
to specify the value of the goods, and must be in italian.
In principle you must be in the AIRE list to do this.
In practice, at least at the Chicago consulate, they can
AIREize and deAIREize you on the spot on the same day, so
it's not a real problem.

For shipping and insurance (but not customs) purposes, you
will also have to prepare a packing list (in english), where the
contents of the individual boxes is listed, and the value of the
goods is given.

The rates below may increase if you shipment occupies a large
volume relative to its weight.  For instance, Air France uses
the following formula:
        Charging_weight = Max(Effective_weight,Volume_weight)
        Volume_weight = (L x W x H)/366
        L,W,H are the box dimensions in inches.

I have normalized all prices to kg units - for some strange
reason, american companies tend to give prices per pound :-)
As everybody certainly knows from age 3, 1 lb = 0.453 kg.

I was shipping from Chicago O'Hare.
My final destination was Trieste, so my choice of airport was
(in the preferred order) Trieste, Venezia, Milano.  Every carrier
goes to Milano, only a few to Venezia, almost nobody to Trieste and
nobody at a reasonable price.

Air France ...... 1-800-232-2746  "about $2/kg" from Chicago to Venezia
                        Rather good price.

Alitalia ........ 1-800-221-4745  $3.60/kg from Chicago to Trieste.
                        Other cities may be somewhat less, but Alitalia
                        has a reputation to be completely out of
                        the cargo market, with absurd prices.

American Airlines 1-800-227-4622  $3.53/kg from Chicago to Milano.

British Airways   1-800-247-9297, 1-312-686-5720  $3.11/kg from
                        Chicago to Venezia, from 100kg to 300kg.
                        But they are crazy, since you must pay for
                        300kg even if you have less than that.
                        That is, the shipment has a fixed cost of
                        300x3.11 = $933 regardless of the actual weight.

KLM ............. 1-312-686-6080  No cargo service to Italy.

Lufthansa ....... 1-312-686-8192  $2.70/kg from Chicago to Milano.
                        $3.07/kg from Chicago to Venezia.

Swissair ........ 1-312-686-7335  $1.65/kg from Chicago to Milano.
                        Price to Rome should be similar to Milan.
                        This is the best price I have ever obtained.
                        Some friends of mine shipped stuff from
                        Chicago to Rome using Swissair cargo with
                        full satisfaction.

TWA ............. 1-314-423-9550  $2.10/kg from St Louis to Milano.
                        $3.26/kg from St Louis to Venezia.  They are
                        cheaper from St Louis than Chicago, since
                        their general headquarters are there.

United Airlines . 1-800-631-1500  $3.53/kg from Chicago to Milano.

I ended using Air France, due to their good rate to Venezia, which
is much closer to Trieste (my final destination) than Milano.
Their final rate was $1.90/kg, but I had far more than kg 200
as I initially estimated (RULE OF THUMB: do your best estimate
of how much stuff you have, and then multiply it by two!!!).
I also bought insurance at a cost of 0.5% of the value of the
goods (as declared on the packing list).
Everything went fairly smoothly. I spent about two hours at their
cargo terminal at O'Hare, for unloading, weighting, do the
paperwork and payment.  About one and a half hour in Venezia
for customs and loading.
No apparent damages, but as I am writing this I still have to open
a lot of boxes and turn on a few devices.

* Renting a van

If you need to rent vans to carry your stuff to/from airports,
an approximate estimate is 0.35c/mile in the US, and L.1100/km
in Italy.

>From a posting by <>:

Esenzione doganale: 

I diversi consolati degli Stati Uniti applicano la stessa regola:
1 anno per tutte le masserizie ad eccezione della macchina 
per cui bisogna dimostrare 18 mesi di possesso.
La procedura e' abbastanza semplice: 
Fai una lista delle cose che vuoi portare in Italia, la spedisci 
al tuo consolato assieme ad un modulo ( che dovresti richiedere 
precedentemente a loro ) in cui devi elencare nome e cognome e dati. 
Il costo del documento e' circa $30 ( non mi ricordo esattamente).
Il consolato di S.Francisco impiega circa una settimana a fare le 
pratiche. A me non hanno mai cheisto nulla, ne di dimostrare che 
avevo le cose da piu' di un anno ne ricevute varie . 
L'originale che ti spediranno va allegato alla merce ( se la spedisci 
separatamente ). 
Per tutta l'elettronica ( tv, radio, cd ) nel modulo ti fanno metter
il numero di matricola. I certificato e' valido 6 mesi.

==Q7.4= How can I import goods from Italy to the US?

Last Modified: June 15 1993

Paolo Bellutta <bellutta@ohsu.EDU> writes:

  Io ho importato una cassa di 200Kg per via aerea.  Il costo
  e' o a peso o a ingombro (prendono il costo maggiore ovviamente).
  La mia cassa era compatta ma molto pesante e la differenza tra
  via aerea e via nave era minima.  Io per di piu' stando in
  costa ovest ho scartato l'idea di lasciare la mia cassa in mano
  a chissa' chi per un paio di mesi. Il cargo aereo e' arrivato
  in una settimana.  In spedizione e' necessario fare una lista 
  degli effetti personali e dichiararne il valore.  All'arrivo
  i vari documenti vengono vistati dalla dogana locale (a me 
  hanno guardato a malapena le carte, e non hanno nemmeno voluto
  vedere la cassa) e non ci sono ne' tasse ne' dazi da pagare.

==Q7.5= What are the legal aspects of importing goods to Italy?

Last modified: August 13 1993

Luigi Semenzato <luigi@paris.CS.Berkeley.EDU> writes:

Italian law allows a very low duty-free allowance for gifts or other
items acquired abroad ($50 last time I checked, in 1991).  Items above
this amount must be declared.  The import fee is 10% duty + 19% IVA
and must be paid in cash.

If the items are for an Italian firm or a professional who needs to
list them as expenses for tax purposes, the paperwork needs to be done
by an `importer'.  The duty receipt given at the point of entry is not
usable for tax purposes.

Custom controls are not strict.  At major airports, and on flights
from outside the EEC, some checks are done.  A verbal declaration is
requested, and baggage is sometimes checked.  The custom inspectors
are likely to grumble a lot if they find undeclared items, and show
disbelieving faces at your explanations, but in the end it is likely
that they'll let you go.  Remember that in Italy the exception is the
rule.  Do not attempt to bribe the custom official: it's dangerous and

For flights into Italy from other EEC countries, very few checks are
done even if a passenger's flight originated outside the EEC.

Should everything go wrong, remember that Italian prisons are an
important aspect of the local folklore and these days you are likely
to meet famous Italian industrialists there (famous politicians are
expected to follow shortly). :)

==Q7.6= Does anybody know of any difference between an Italian and
======= American prescription for lenses?

Paolo Bellutta <bellutta@ohsu.EDU> writes:

  The only difference I found was the optical axis of a cylindrical
  lens (for astigmatism) have different reference and direction.
  In the US. 0 deg. is like in trigonometry while in Italy the
  right eye has the 0 deg. on the horizontal axis, but on the
  *left*, and positive clockwise.

==Q7.7= Can I drive a foreign vehicle in Italy with an Italian licence?

Last modified: September 15 1994

Carlo Biasutto <> writes:

   In base al DL 513 del 31/12/92 e' stata abolita la normativa
   precedente (DPR 43/1973) che vietava la guida di auto con targa
   straniera da parte di conducenti muniti di patente italiana.
   Vista la scarsa conoscenza di queste norme puo' risultare utile
   avere con se copia del DL.
   Nota: la vecchia normativa rimane in vigore per auto immatricolate
   in paesi non membri dell'Unione Europea

>From a posting by <>:

Qualcuno mi aveva suggerito che il DL 513 del 31.12.92 (fonte la
rivista Quattroruote) metteva fine al divieto di guida di una
autovettura della Comunita' Europea da parte di un cittadino italiano.
Altre persone mi hanno segnalato un articolo del Sole 24 ore del 
16.09.93 che cita una disposizione ministeriale (del Ministero delle
Finanze) n. VII-15-112-93 del 02.09.93 che asserisce la non 
punibilita' di un conducente italiano alla guida di una vettura della
Comunita'Europea (il reato in questione e' contrabbando).

Questa mattina ho segnalato ad un vigile, lo stesso che tempo fa mi
aveva fermato con l'intenzione di sequestrarmi l'auto, queste 
disposizioni vigile mi ha fatto notare che dall'ottobre '93
e' entrato in vigore il nuovo codice stradale e che, quindi, questo
annulli ed aggiorni tutte le disposizioni precedenti.
Sembra, dal nuovo codice stradale, che sia possibile guidare una 
autovettura straniera solo se il proprietario si trova al fianco del
conducente oppure se si e' muniti di apposita delega. 
Da dove venga questa delega non e' precisato.
Cosi' mi sono rivolto ad un sottoufficiale della Finanza che mi
ha detto che la delega deve essere rilasciata dal proprietario 
Dove devo sbattere la testa ? Il vigile sostiene che la delega
non e' rilasciata dal proprietario ma dalla dogana.

User Contributions:

Comment about this article, ask questions, or add new information about this topic:

[ Usenet FAQs | Web FAQs | Documents | RFC Index ]

Send corrections/additions to the FAQ Maintainer: (Gianluigi Sartori)

Last Update March 27 2014 @ 02:11 PM