free FAQ hosting service threatened

From: Edward Hasbrouck (ehasbro@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 11:31:30 CST

altern.org has been one of the few publicly-available free and entirely
advertising-free personal web space providers that doesn't set any
monthly quota on downloads or add advertising, banners or, popups.
This has made it an ideal site for FAQ's. (altern-org also provides free,
advertising-free e-mail, which I and others use for announcement lists for
updated to our FAQ's.) I keep my rec.travel.air FAQ
<http://www.hasbrouck.org/faq> on altern.org as the only site I could find
that wouldn't charge me to provide the information as a public service. (I
use the free mydomain.com service to redirect requests to altern.org.)

Those concerned about the dwindling number of unlimited-downloads
advertising-free web hosting services may want to know that altern.org
has been placed in immediate jeopardy of shutdown by a new French
law (altern.org is domiciled in France, so users are protected by the EU
privacy rules) that would make ISP's liable for all material they host.

For details (in French), see: http://altern.org/defense/vote/

Edward Hasbrouck
<edward@hasbrouck.org>
<http://hasbrouck.org>