Re: no MIME! plus *.answers update

From: David Alex Lamb (dalamb@cs.queensu.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 10:01:52 CST

> From: "Paul Hilling" <p.hilling@bigfoot.com>
> Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 22:09:20 -0000
>
> >>I've just taken over another FAQ from the previous maintainer (he no
> >>longer has the time to maintain it).

We prefer a new submission via the FAQ checker when the maintainer changes,
and preferably also an "OK" from the previous maintainer. This makes sure we
get a chance to inspect the new maintainer's headers and ensure they're OK.
We'll eventually notice the change, when we run the "routine archive
maintenance" but we notice faster on a resubmission. Mostly there is no
problem, but from time we've had unauthorized takeover, headers mangled by the
new maintainer's new software, and other things that are best handled via the
normal (re-)submission process.

> OK, how do I submit it to the FAQ checker? I've only posted or sent FAQ's
> to the FAQ server direct.
From the guidelines, to which your old maintainer should have pointed you:

        To use the FAQ-checker, put your whole FAQ, including all the
        regular and auxiliary headers, in the BODY of a message sent
        to news-answers-submit@rtfm.mit.edu. (If you're counting on
        your news software to include a From: line for you, you'll
        have to add it by hand for this submission.) That means that
        your final message will have three sets of headers: the email
        headers which tell it to go to the FAQ-checker, the main
        headers for your news posting, and the auxiliary header which
        includes the Archive-name.

> Actually I think the previous version (of the alt.fan.renee-oconnor FAQ,
> which is the one I've just taken over), is on faqs.org. Does faqs.org pick
> non *.answers posted FAQ's, or only ones that get approval?

faqs.org is based on (nightly?) copies of our archives at MIT.