Re: What do I do?

---------

Terry Carroll (carroll@tjc.com)
Thu, 15 May 1997 14:08:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Rev. Mama Lani wrote:

> What I would suggest in your actions, if they appear shocked that a real
> live human being is threatening legal action, is to offer a "compromise"
> of sorts. Tell them they can either put a link up to an rtfm archive site
> (I prefer Kent Landfield's), or tell them you will write them a tailored
> version for their web site for a nice fee. Of course if you do the latter,
> make sure you continue to retain a copyright to your own FAQ lest they
> then turn around and charge you with violating their copyright!

Better yet, don't assign the copyright in the version you give them --
just give them a non-exclusive license. (If it's not in writing it is, at
most, a non-exclusive license, by the way: both assignments and exclusive
licenses of copyrights _must_ be in a writing signed by the
assignor/licensor.)

--
Terry Carroll       | "The invention provides means for continuously
Santa Clara, CA     | trapping sparrows and supplying a cat and