Re: FAQs/REFs/COMs, Legitimacy (was Re: Style/History of FAQs (was...)) (fwd)

---------

Larry W. Virden, x2487 (lvirden@cas.org)
Tue, 6 May 1997 08:36:07 -0400

From: tcyang@netcom.com (Tung-chiang Yang)

I've seen a few places where competitive FAQs occur. I
think this was at one point at least going on in the Java newsgroups
and perhaps in one of the other programming groups. As a reader, I enjoy
seeing alternative views.

To bare the soul a bit though, as a FAQ maintainer, it can be at times a
bit of a 'thorn in the flesh' so to speak (a splinter in the finger?).
Particularly if no one ever comes out and says to you that there is
anything particularly wrong, or different, or whatever about your faq -
they just seem to prefer for no apparently reason someone else's work.

I suspect that authors see this all the time. For someone whose only
exposure to having some ego tied up into a public work is a FAQ, it can
be a painful, but hopefully maturing, experience.

--
Larry W. Virden                 INET: lvirden@cas.org