Re: How do I stop the automated conversion of a posted FAQ to HTML? (fwd)

---------

Steve Summit (scs@eskimo.com)
Mon, 9 Oct 1995 09:49:26 -0700

In <Pine.BSF.3.91.951003075618.16622A-100000@shell1.best.com>,
Nancy McGough wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 1995, Steven L. Baur wrote:
>> Section 2.7B of the Guidelines indicates that automatic conversion
>> to HTML will be done. I do not wish this to occur, as I am
>> maintaining my FAQ already as HTML and converting it to minimal
>> digest format for posting.
>
> Right now I think the only thing you can do is put a notice
> at the top of your FAQ that says something like:
>
> If you have a Web browser, please view the official
> hypertext version at: ...
>
> Users who are viewing the FAQ at one of the hypertext archives, or with
> a news reader that turns URLs into links, will be able to easily jump
> to the official FAQ.

You may not even have to do that. Right after I put a URL: line
in the inside header of the comp.lang.c FAQ list, I started
getting lots of hits on the web page it points to, even though
it's not complete yet. I don't know whether the Ohio State
news->HTML converter special-cases a URL: line or whether it
recognizes the string http: anywhere and turns it into a link,
but at any rate, I end up with a clickable link right there at
the top.

Steve Summit
scs@eskimo.com