Re: Starting a *.answers archive

---------

Ping Huang (pshuang@MIT.EDU)
Mon, 24 Jul 1995 17:17:24 EDT

> Can somebody point me towards the appropriate software? I'd like
> to start with a simple rtfm-style FTP archive, and implement an HTML
> translation thingie once that's reliable.

The package which we recommend to those who are interested in just
mirroring the archives on rtfm.mit.edu directly is
ftp://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/computing/archiving/mirror/mirror.tar.gz.

We use rkive cobbled together with a bunch of scripts to populate the
/pub/usenet directories. Those scripts are in mighty poor condition
to hand off to any other sites, so I would be reluctant to inflict
them on you. However, if you're just interested in *.answers postings
and not all postings listed in the List of Periodic Informational
Postings, then setting up just rkive alone should be pretty
straight-forward. To be honest, I haven't looked very careful at
rkive's innards, so I don't know how hard it would be to get rkive to
invoke an arbitrary program (i.e., your converter) --- but I imagine
the hook to do so would be there somewhere.

Unfortunately, there's no mailing list explicitly for "maintainers of
sites which carry some form of archives of *.answers Usenet
newsgroups". Some of the discussion will be reasonable for
faq-maintainers, but let's try to not to inflict nitty-gritty details
on the list membership, most of whom may not be particularly
interested in the travails of site maintainers....

== Ping Huang