Re: Dealing with requests for faq by e-mail

---------

J.D. Falk (jdfalk@cais.cais.com)
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 08:03:40 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Jan 1995, Tim Pierce wrote:

> I think that the problem with that is that many of us find
> it unwise to coddle newcomers too much in their approach to
> the net. If they're not told the right method of doing
> things, how are they to learn? If they learn, hopefully
> they will not continue to bother busy people once they know
> how to retrieve the information they need automatically.

Another thing to remember, here, is that though we're all FAQ
maintainers (or at least pretty close), some FAQs are of more interest to
the clueless newbie than others.
I don't mind sending out my media-coverage FAQ via EMail (even
though my .signature file tells how to get it), because the overall
/goal/ of alt.internet.media-coverage is to get journalists past the
clueless newbie stage so that some of those articles about the 'net are
actually worth a damn.

> YMMV; I suspect that the place where most will disagree on
> this issue is where to draw the line at which to stop
> helping. For example: I don't know how to drive. Can you
> tell me how? I suspect your response will be negative if at
> all, but does that not violate the mythic Spirit Of The Net?

Good point...was it Alistair Crowley or Ozzy Osbourne who wrote
that spirits must be invoked only when truly necessarry? *grin*

| "Beyond your tunnel vision reality fades |
| Like shadows into the night." -Pink Floyd |
--------========== http://www.cais.com/jdfalk/home.html ==========--------