Re: Dealing with random questions

---------

Felan shena Thoron'edras (felan@netcom.com)
Wed, 25 Jan 95 10:44:00 -0800

>Another problem, related to the question of FAQ requests, is how to
>best deal with random questions that people send you because they think
>that you are the helpdesk for the Internet. I'm thinking about starting

I've noticed this trend...possibly related, for me, to this FAQ of mine:

Welcome to news.newusers.questions! (weekly posting)

I don't even _read_ news.newusers.questions any more. (Then again, I'm not
reading much news at all these days.)

Generally, my solution is to suggest they talk to their local support
people, with possibly a more detailed suggestion (you're looking for
groups on Visual Basic? Um, hm, I have these comp.lang.visual.basic
groups (or whatever they are) on my system, here's how I found them, you
should probably talk to your local support to get any more information).

>to post under a different email address, maybe info@ii.com, and then,
>when people respond, have an autoreply message that says:
> * how to get my FAQs via the Web, ftp, and mail
> * general questions should be posted to appropriate newsgroups or
> mailing lists
> * faq suggestions and comments should be sent to faqs@ii.com
> * my personal email address if they still want to talk to me
>
>What do people think of this idea? What do you think are good email
>addresses to use? I'm thinking about this:
>
> From header When posting
> info@ii.com anything other than an FAQ
> faqs@ii.com FAQs
>
>I'm not sure that I like info@ii.com but right now I can't think of
>anything better...

info@ii.com might suggest that it's info _about_ ii.com, or something like
that; maybe usenet-info@ii.com, or inet-info@ii.com?

Leanne Phillips
(rec.arts.sf.* intro; rn killfiles; news-newusers-intro; unofficially,
Deryni FAQ)