Re: Vacation messages

---------

Vince LaMonica (vjl@netcom.com)
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 23:43:29 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 14 Dec 1995, J.D. Falk wrote:

> I think the reason we keep getting vacation messages here on the
> list may be the capital B in the Precedence: header (reproduced below.)
> The RFC's call for 'bulk', not 'Bulk', and most Unix-based programs are
> intellegent enough to know the difference.

Actually, the reason why you got 2 NETCOM vacation messages was due to
the message being posted twice: once with no subject and some strange
headers:

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 10:03:11 -0800
>From: FAQ-Maintainers@consensus.com
Apparently-To: <obiwan@netcom.com>
Apparently-To: <ashton@netcom.com>
Apparently-To: <bradb@netcom.com>
Apparently-To: <vjl@netcom.com>

Is there a procedure for taking over for someone else as far as being a FAQ

[...]

As you can see, there is no Precedence: header in this email; my vacation
program is set up *not* to reply to bulk/list and I have a special
"noacks" (no acknowledgement) list that contains addresses of thelists I
subscribe to (but that list is case senstive, therefore it didn't catch
the above From_ header due to the caps).

Incedently, the original post was received quite a while before this one
(at least here at NETCOM), and it did have proper headers.

My apologies to those who had to put up with viewing NETCOM users'
vacation-like replies.

Vince

--
vjl@netcom.com            Don't you ever wonder why 711 files have .locks
Vince LaMonica            on them if they're available 24 hours a day?