Re: That copyright stuff

---------

Paul W Schleck KD3FU (pschleck@gonix.gonix.com)
Mon, 19 Dec 1994 12:10:46 -0600 (CST)

> Just out of curiosity, what does everyone else say in their
> copyright notice?

My "notice" is an extremely vague, informal expression of my wishes
(Which probably has no legal meaning and is unenforceable. My only
recourse is to stop maintaining my posting and allow it to go slowly
out of date).

It reads:

===
This administrivia file and the companion Amateur Radio Elmers Resource
Directory are intended for non-commercial distribution via Usenet. Any
other uses, please E-mail for permission.
===

I consider any Internet archiving resource, or CD-ROM's that charge a
reasonable distribution fee to fall within the above guidelines. I have
received requests to place it in published books (specifically by the
publishers of CQ Magazine for their annual almanac, Tuscon Amateur
Packet Radio (TAPR), and the Amateur Satellite Corporation (AMSAT). For
printed matter, I've always declined to allow printing of the full
directory (It's a directory of E-mailable technical mentors and gurus
which really has very little context outside of the Internet. In
addition to concerns over currency in a static, printed medium, I also
feel that I'm not in the business of selling address lists). Instead, I
offer them my administrivia file which offers all the ways to obtain a
copy of the list (News, FTP, Gopher, WWW, WAIS, E-mail server).

I've never had a situation where someone has subverted my wishes (either
by not asking, or not taking no for an answer). If it did happen, I
suppose I could invoke the above-mentioned "death-penalty." Either way,
I personally am not going to lose sleep over it. I do however, respect
the opinions of those on this mailing list who maintain more substantial
works and want to protect their intellectual property. I just don't
feel that mine is one of them.

If a group of FAQ maintainers decides to retain legal counsel (perhaps
in a pooled arrangement much like the micro-wineries in California used
to fend off a class-action suite for using lead foil), I would probably
insert the appropriate standard legalese that reflected the spirit of
what I stated above, but I don't consider it worthwhile to pursue on my
own.

--
Paul W. Schleck
pschleck@gonix.com

Maintainer, Amateur Radio Elmers Resource Directory