Re: The letter is way off base...

---------

Jeff Knapp (JEF@cuyler.mhs.compuserve.com)
16 Dec 94 10:21:05 EST

mike (mwm@contessa.phone.net) writes:

> I understand all of it. What I'd like to know is when you're going
> to send a letter to UUNet, PSI, NetCom, Best Internet Comm, and
> the hundreds (thousands?) of other companies that sell your FAQ for
> profit everytime you post it.

That's a totally invalid statement. UUNet, et al, are profiting from
people using their computers, not from "selling" my FAQ.

The comerical providers do not advertise "All the FAQs you want for
$20/month!". They instead advertise that by using their computers,
you can access the internet. So, they sell ACCESS, not information.

The commerical providers are charging for the service of using their
computers, not the information that is passing through it.

They are, arguably, common carriers, and can't be hit with copyright
suits. Just like Ma Bell can't be sued because some used a phone to
arrange a crime, or play their friend a song, or read them my FAQ!

IMHO, the bottom line is FAQ authors whose FAQs contain copyright
marks which state that publishers "must get written permission before
inclusion" or language to that effect, have every right to expect
Walnut Creek to follow the law.

I don't think it is a matter of anything other than that. If my
copyright notice states that my FAQ can be freely distributed, then
Walnut Creek should help themselves. If it does not, they should ask
me *first*. And like others here, I've never said no to anyone who
has asked.

I think the debate comes down to those who are willing to "look the
other way" and those who aren't.

| Jeff Knapp tel 201.734.3200 |
| Cuyler, Burk & Matthews fax 201.734.3201 |
| Four Century Drive |
| Parsippany, NJ 07054-4663 jef@cuyler.mhs.compuserve.com |
| cuyler@delphi.com |
| From CompuServe: MHS:jef@cuyler |