Re: cron or perl automation of posting FAQs

---------

Peter J. Kappesser (pjkappes@mailbox.syr.edu)
Thu, 15 Dec 1994 01:48:24 -0500

Recently Pamela Greene <pgreene@optics.rochester.edu> wrote:
>Michelle Murrain <mpmNS@hamp.hampshire.edu> asked:
>> Any tips on automating posting? I already know how to send automated
>> mail messages using cron (I maintain three lists too). But I've
>> never tried to do anything that way via news.
>
>I use, and recommend, Jonathan Kamens' post_faq perl script, with a
>cron process to run it at appropriate times. It's powerful, well
>documented, and pretty easy to set up. There's also Ian Kluft's
>auto-faq, which is even more automated, but I haven't tried it.

I use auto-faq; when I had to choose, I picked the more powerful one (arrh
arrh arrh!) But I'm not sure what advantages auto-faq has over post-faq;
auto-faq lets you keep the body of the FAQ in a plain file, with no headers,
and generates all the needed headers from its configuration file. If the FAQ
is maintained using version control programs such as RCS or SCCS, auto-faq
can figure out the version number and last-modified-date and generate the
appropriate secondary headers. One user at a site, the "news guru," can set
up the configuration and the crontab to do the postings for any number of
FAQ maintainers there, who would keep their FAQ files in a directory that
can be read by auto-faq and wouldn't have to worry about the technical
details of posting.

In my case, I post FAQs for a number of friends all over the world, who
email me their files when updated; I strip the mail headers and prepend the
version and last-modified headers, so I don't have to learn RCS or SCCS
(right away :).

Auto-faq is eminently hackable. If you don't want to get into the main code,
you can define local functions in a separate file which auto-faq will load
upon execution. I'm about to tweak it so that it emails the FAQ owners (and
myself) a little confirmation notice whenever their FAQ is posted, and a few
folks have requested I email them a FAQ for a group not available at their
site, so I might automate that too.

--
pjkappes@mailbox.syr.edu (Peter Kappesser)