Re: I don't get it...

---------

John Halleck (nahaj@ocom.cc.utah.edu)
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 09:47:10 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 13 Dec 1994, Dave Taylor wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 20:28:12 -0800 (PST)
> From: Dave Taylor <taylor@netcom.com>
> To: faq-maintainers@MIT.EDU
> Subject: I don't get it...
>
> Look, if you don't want your FAQ publicly disseminated through
> any and all possible mechanisms, including some that are pay
> services (and we haven't even talked about the fact that people
> on AOL and CIS, for example, are PAYING for connect time while
> they read FAQ docs from the Internet), don't write 'em.

I disagree here. If someone wants to protect their property
rights, they should be allowed to.

> I agree completely with Jordan here; I write FAQ docs as
> a public service. What happens to them is of no importance
> to me, so long as they're distributed to the intended audience.

On my Alt.Religion.Mormon FAQ I disclaimed all copyright, and
placed it in the public domain. However, if someone else
wants to maintain tight control I feel they should have
the right, after all it is their work.

> If someone wants to put them all together and make a buck (or
> make a million, as C&S might suggest), then more power to
> them. I doubt they'll be a success, but I don't really care.

I don't care if someone does the same with my ARM FAQ, but
that does not mean that I approve of the republication of
someone else's faq without permission.