Re: Internet Info CDROM (fwd)

---------

Lani Teshima-Miller (teshima@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu)
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 15:55:38 -1000

...to which A Gale <Amy.Gale@vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
> I don't think this is exactly what people are saying. I know what I'm
> thinking is closer to "I did this for free, to share, how DARE people
> take it to make a profit".

Nope--not quite it, either. (at least for me)

Others have mentioned it already. I am a librarian by profession. My
career lies in being able to provide and share information to those
who would otherwise not have access. But that does not mean people can
walk out of the library without checking out materials first.

I realize this is not quite the same analogy--but I state my main
concern once again:

A company publishing your FAQ without first obtaining permission (but
asking later when you mention it) is akin to someone trepassing
through your back yard (amid "No Trespassing" signs) and asking after
you happened to see him traipsing across the lawn.

THE ISSUE IS ABOUT CONTROL, NOT ABOUT MONEY.

Lani Teshima-Miller (teshima@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.edu) "Sea Hare" o/ /_/_/
UH School of Library & Info Studies. "Whatever the cost of our o|<0_0>------*
libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant \=^-| |_| |
nation." -Walter Cronkite [R.a.b.bit--FAQ Maintainer: "Think Ink!"] \_B}\_B}