Re: (copyright) Re: Internet Info CDROM (fwd)

---------

Tom Haapanen (tomh@metrics.com)
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 13:35:59 EST

Tina Sikorski wrote:
> Why is everyone so upset about this? If it is NOT that they are making
> money off of your work (which people have insisted it is not), than
> what is it? I really want to know. I wrote my FAQ so that people
> would have information. I post it in several groups so that people
> who have a need for the information can find it. My ONLY concern for
> redistribution is if someone is either a) making gobs of money from
> it (in which case I'd like a share; I'd really enjoy being _able_ to
> make money from my writing) or b) claiming it for their own, neither
> of which I would accept. ASIDE from these exceptions, I don't care WHO
> passes it along to an interested party.

Thanks, Tina! I agree with this completely. My Windows FAQs, into which
I have invested months of my time, are freely distributable on Usenet
news, email, ftp, http, Compuserve, AOL, any random BBS that chooses,
CD-ROM, diskettes and/or paper tape, as long as the copyright is included
and no money is charged for them. I wrote them to help people using
Windows, and distributing them on CD-ROM certainly gets them into the
hands of more people.

In my view, Walnut Creek has offered to remove FAQs from the CD-ROMS on
request, and to send free CD-ROMs to others. Given the minuscule portion
of a CD-ROM's content that my FAQs make up, I don't consider them to be
making any "real" amount of money on my undoubtedly real labours.

I wish Walnut Creek good luck, and I hope all the FAQ maintainers will
take a little time over the holidays to think about the real purpose
behind their FAQs...

--
[ /tom haapanen -- tomh@metrics.com -- software metrics inc -- waterloo, ont ]
[ "only a toy."               -- alexander graham bell's father-in-law, 1876 ]