Re: The FAQ system approaches obsolescence. What do we do now?

---------

Jeff Wallace (jeffw@swindle.Berkeley.EDU)
Mon, 12 Dec 94 14:05:24 -0800

> At 10:54 AM 12/9/94 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> >People have been predicting charge-for-bytes for ten years,
> >without noticing that it has never actually happens --- the commercial ISPs
> >all charge either monthly flat rate or by connect time. Reason? The
> >accounting overhead for charge-by-byte is so high that the game is not worth
> >the candle.
> >
> >Go on, prove me wrong. Name *one* ISP that charges by the byte.
>
> I believe someone in another country already has, Eric. It's not popular
> in the USA, but it apparently has been implemented elsewhere in the world.

This response is far off the charter for faq-maintainers, but I do know
of one ISP that does charge by the byte. holonet.net does charge based
on MB transferred. The base charge is $1/MB off-peak, $2/MB peak.
They do not charge for connect time.

So, good or bad, some people do live with a charge-by-byte system in
the USA as well.

Jeff