Re: Is there a FAQ on how to format postings?

---------

Jack Hamilton (jfh@crl.com)
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 12:33:01 -0800 (PST)

P. Michael McCulley wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Dec 1994, Jack Hamilton wrote:
> I agree. If you'll forgive a lurker for jumping in. One of the documents
> I looked for when I had some ideas for a FAQ document was a "How to Write
> a FAQ" FAQ --couldn't find one. You seem to be suggesting a "How to
> Format a FAQ" FAQ. I think, insofar as possible, both would be useful to
> the community.

I agree that a posted FAQ on writing FAQ's would be useful, but there are
several files out there somewhere explaining how to do it. For whatever
reason (because because there is so much disagreement over the format?)
they're not posted to news.answers or anywhere else, as far as I know.

But that's not what I'm looking for. What I want is much more basic. It
would be closer to an introduction to using simple text editors, something
which many newbies don't seem to have mastered. I want something that says
"This is how you quote text on AOL" and "This is what you do in vi to keep
the lines from getting too long", and so forth.

Jack Hamilton jfh@crl.com KD6TTL '92 K75RTA co-moderator, sci.med.aids