Re: WWW reference header format

---------

Joe Sewell (jsewell@iu.net)
Sat, 10 Dec 1994 21:43:49 +0000

At 2:01 PM 12/9/94 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>A couple days ago, I launched a discussion thread by proposing that the FAQ
>system is we have known it is approaching obsolescence, soon to be superseded
>by the World-Wide Web. I had several different objectives in opening this
>controversy; one was to stimulate serious consideration of conventions for
>newsreader-traversable FAQ-to-WWW links.

That wasn't how it came across. I apologize, then, for misinterpreting
your remarks, which sounded more like "throw out the old because there's
something neat now."

>I see four substantive issues:
>
>1) Is the semantics of the link to be "point to *current* version of"? Or
> "point to *longer* version of?". Or "point to *authoritative* version of"?
> Or something else?

The assumption I've been working under is specifically an HTML version of
the page (assuming, of course, that the plain text version(s) stay around,
if for no other reason than for archiving on a local machine (e.g. a
desktop PC without a local Web browser) and/or for periodic posting to the
appropriate newsgroups). I actually see a need for *ALL* of the items you
specify. A "current" link ensures that you've got the latest & greatest
between periodic postings. A "longer" version allows a "Reader's Digest"
form to be posted instead. I'm not sure if "authoritative" would be
appropriate, though, since the assumption is that the FAQ *is*
authoritative. Perhaps this would be better left to links in individual
topics in the FAQ?

>2) Should the header be specifically a URL/URN link or a general link-to-other-
> resource header that can take a news article ID?

Hmmm, good question. Unfortunately, the URL for news retrieval doesn't
allow for searches by subject or Message-ID. Maybe add a "fake" URL
transport type, say "newsID" (just a quick example), to allow for a news
article ID (one that, of course, wouldn't be dependent on the local
server)? Or allow for either format, perhaps with a URL: or URN: prefix
where appropriate?

>3) How important is it that the header name reflect standard-English practice
> in dictionaries and encyclopedias? Can we accomplish this?

It should be clear, but not necessarily along the lines of current
reference works. At the same time, a "for more info" header (or set of
headers) could be useful, too.

>4) Should the FAQ header be mirrored in an X-header in the news header proper?

Unless some popular news reading software balks at this, I don't see any
harm in it. It could also allow future news readers to more easily grab
the information, vs. having to deal with auxiliary headers.

Joe

Joe Sewell       * What's the point in being *  Internet: jsewell@iu.net
                 * grown up if you can't act *       CIS: 74136,360
Is reality merely* childish?                 *       AOL: JoeS10
virtual fantasy? *                           *   Fidonet: 1:374/328.7