Net access methods (was Re: The FAQ system approaches...)

---------

Michael J. Averbuch (mikeaver@prairienet.org)
Sat, 10 Dec 94 13:00:29 CST

Ross Smith writes:
> The point I was trying to make was that, within a few years, the vast
> majority of the Net population will be paying by the byte.

Not necessarily. Why pay at all when you can access a Free-Net?
(Okay, so they ask for donations, but they're still much more
reasonable.) They might not get you the speed of a SLIP or PPP
connection, or the interfaces of a pay dial-in account, but they do the
job without costing a fortune. It's the eqivilent of PBS, you might
say. Free-nets are spreading; I live in a not-so-major (although it
does have a university) city in the Midwest, and there's one here
(Prairienet). My prediction is that, by 2000, there will be a Free-Net
in most parts of the USA. (I'm not sure about the world; the state
of Illinois helps to fund Prairienet, but some countries' governments might
not care as much about the Internet.)

-Michael