Re: The FAQ system approaches obsolescence. What do we do now?

---------

Graham Stoney (greyham@research.canon.oz.au)
Fri, 9 Dec 1994 13:20:52 +1100 (EDT)

Eric S. Raymond writes:
> Providing WWW access to the unfortunates in the serial-line Slow Zone is a
> purely technical problem which *will be solved*. Soon. If you focus on
> technical problems, you will miss the true significance of what is going on.

No it's not; SLIP and PPP have been around for ages, yet people still use
UUCP. Our site runs MHSnet for political and economic reasons. It's likely
that store-and-forward connections will always be cheaper than IP ones, and
there will always be a class of user who wants Email/news access, but can't
afford IP. I'd like to still have news.answers cater for the needs of Web-less
users like me in this brave new world, if that's OK with you.

Many FAQ maintainers have been providing both WWW and news access to their
FAQ information for some time, and frankly I can't see anything here broken
which needs fixing. I don't think we as a group have been slow to embrace this
new technology or need any sort of kick-in-the-pants.

Posting a message proclaiming that the FAQ system is approaching obsolescence
to a list full of people who spend a great deal of their time writing and
maintaining FAQs is bound to stir up a hornets nest. As yet, I can't see a
great deal coming from the discussion; the so-called "technotrivia about digest
formats or conversion tools" was at least centred on practical ways to provide
both WWW and Usenet access to our FAQs.

regards,
Graham