Re: The FAQ system approaches obsolescence. What do we do now?

---------

Tina Sikorski (tina@tezcat.com)
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 21:28:00 -0600 (CST)

Tim Pierce writes:

> Eric said:
>
> > The masses and the market are going to move to WWW. We old hands can lead,
> > or we can follow, or we can become irrelevant. There are no other choices.
>
> Ever since I can remember, the direction of my life has led
> me away from the masses and the market decisions. You may
> opt for a life of gleaming, polished, ferroconcrete malls on
> the Information Cyberhighway if you so desire; I will sit at
> home with my LPs, my magazines and newspapers, my gas stove
> and my flat-file FAQ, and be content.
>
> But thanks for the observation. Enjoy your dinner.

*laughs* Well, I opted for the middle ground. It is possible to get my
FAQ via the Web, with all its updates in between its posting times, but
its a plain text file.

I'm not sure I understand why there is all this fuss about "Putting Your
FAQ On the World Wide Web" to begin with. Everyone I know who maintains a
FAQ of any sort has it on the Web, but like me, most of them opt for
plain text files, without the tons of jumps to other places that _would_
require it to be HTML-ized. I've been scratching my head since this
discussion started (my initial reaction was 'But my FAQ is on the Web and
I didn't do anything special'), and I still don't get it.

Tina, who just so happens to collect vinyl and who _likes_ gas stoves.
FAQ maintainer for alt.support.dissociation