Re: The FAQ system approaches obsolescence. What do we do

---------

Perry Rovers (Perry.Rovers@kub.nl)
8 Dec 94 12:06:16 MET

> > And then? The 'popular' Web servers will become crowded while everybody can

> The Net community has already dealt with this problem once in connection with
> FTP sites. That's why modern ftpds have mirroring software and FTP resources
> are commonly listed with a bunch of mirrors and the objurgation to
> pick the closest. One could do this in a Web document, too.

Yes, but does the mirror system work? It sort of used to work. But
nowadays more and more people starting on the net know only a couple
of sites. They are told, use wuarchive, use ftpmail@decwrl.dec.com
instead of the alternatives and it takes a lot of them a long time
to figure out what a mirror is and where they can find one.
Things like mirrors are useful but one has to find the FAQ that lists
them first. That's why there will always be intro's and FAQs,
whether through news or www or whatever.

I do agree with some other people however that the current flood of
new users is making news and mailinglists less and less useful if
there's not something like a 'get faq first' button for a group.
The questions of 'where's the FAQ?' arising out of plain not reading
old articles or short expiry times are not needed.