Re: The FAQ system approaches obsolescence. What do we do now?

---------

David Barr (barr@pop.psu.edu)
Tue, 06 Dec 1994 15:28:45 -0500

In message <9412062057.0g74@meanmach.actrix.gen.nz>, Ross Smith writes:
>Certainly *some* sort of global-hypertext system will pretty much take
>over the Net eventually; I've got no argument with that. But it won't be
>WWW, at least not without major changes to make it more efficient.

WWW with a central cache (like with the CERN HTTPD) is already as
efficient as it's going to get wrt a global on-demand distributed
hypertext/limited multimedia system.

I don't see how a system can be more efficient. Usenet is great for
high-availibility of text, but trying to use flood-fill for something
like WWW would probably be at least an order of magnitude bandwidth
increase. It would be also politically much harder to accomplish,
given the content and restrictions on a lot of the WWW servers out there.

--Dave