Re: The FAQ system approaches obsolescence. What do we do now?

---------

Graham Stoney (greyham@research.canon.oz.au)
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 11:45:49 +1100 (EDT)

Eric S. Raymond writes:
> I have some ideas about 3 and 4. But, having issued my wake-up call, I'd like
> to see either a refutation of my underlying assumptions or a consensus on the
> list that these really are the big issues facing us before I propose
> specifics.

OK; you've missed two very important points:

1. FAQ's originated from the desire to cut down on news traffic as more and
more new users flooded groups with frequently asked questions, most of which
had a simple "textbook" answer. True, they have evolved into a valuable
information resource beyond this original aim, and for other purposes WWW
access may be a better access method, but the need to provide readily
accessible answers to frequent questions in the newsgroup itself is not
fading or becoming obselete in any way. There are more new users hitting
Usenet now than ever before, and they've got lots of questions to ask and
need to be able to find the answers already in the newsgroup if we don't
want to be deluged.

2. Not everyone has WWW access. WWW access requires IP, and not everyone has
that.

regards,
Graham