- Go easy on fat, sugar, and salt in preparing foods. For example, make Oven Crispy Chicken instead of fried
chicken or make Baked Cod with Cheese instead of fried fish. You donít have to leave out all the fat, sugar, or saltó just
limit the amount you use.
- Flavor foods with herbs, spices, and other lowfat seasonings instead of using rich sauces and gravy. Look for ideas
about what seasonings to use in some of the recipes in this booklet, like Baked Meatballs, Baked Spicy Fish, and Turkey
- Make homemade desserts sometimes to save money and serve additional healthy foods to the family. For example, try a
fruit crisp, like Peach- Apple Crisp, or a pudding like Rice Pudding.
- Remove skin from poultry before cooking to lower the fat content. For example, try Baked Chicken Nuggets,
Chicken and Vegetables, or Oven Crispy Chicken.
- Always follow food safety rules in the kitchen to make sure that the food you prepare for your family is safe.
Back to Cheap and Healthy Recipes