United States International Trade Commision Rulings And Harmonized Tariff Schedule
faqs.org  Rulings By Number  Rulings By Category  Tariff Numbers
faqs.org > Rulings and Tariffs Home > Rulings By Number > 1998 NY Rulings > NY A86571 - NY A86756 > NY A86657

Previous Ruling Next Ruling
NY A86657

August 28, 1996

CLA-2-61:RR:NC:WA:354 A86657


TARIFF NO.: 6116.10.9500

Ms. Diane Stehl
Wells Lamont
6640 West Touhy Avenue
Niles, Illinois 60714-4587

RE: The tariff classification of nylon gloves from China, Taiwan or Jakarta.

Dear Ms. Stehl:

In your letter dated August 6, 1996 you requested a classification ruling.

The submitted sample, style MZ1, is a lined nylon gauntlet glove with a inner waterproof lining and a plastic coated knit polyester fabric palm extending to the fingertips and across the thumb. You have indicated that the plastic coating accounts for 90 percent of the weight of the palm, and the knit polyester fabric accounts for the remaining 10 percent. The glove also features a partially elasticized wrist, a hook and loop tab closure at the front of the wrist, fourchettes, and internal foam padding over the knuckles. Your letter states the sample is a multiuse sports gloves, however, we do not believe the glove shows design specifications which would indicate use in sports. The essential character of the glove is imparted by the coated palm fabric.

The applicable subheading for style MZ1 will be 6116.10.9500, Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTS), which provides for Gloves, mittens and mitts, knitted or crocheted: impregnated, coated or covered with plastics or rubber: other: with fourchettes: other. The duty rate will be 12.6% ad valorem.

This ruling is being issued under the provisions of Part 177 of the Customs Regulations (19 C.F.R. 177).

A copy of the ruling or the control number indicated above should be provided with the entry documents filed at the time this merchandise is imported. If you have any questions regarding the ruling, contact National Import Specialist Brian Burtnik at 212-466-5880.


Roger J. Silvestri

Previous Ruling Next Ruling

See also: