United States International Trade Commision Rulings And Harmonized Tariff Schedule
faqs.org  Rulings By Number  Rulings By Category  Tariff Numbers
faqs.org > Rulings and Tariffs Home > Rulings By Number > 1997 NY Rulings > NY 854599 - NY 855026 > NY 855011

Previous Ruling Next Ruling
NY 855011

CLA-2-62:S:N:N3-I:360 855011


TARIFF NO.: 6211.43.0060

Robert T. Stack, Esq.
Siegel, Mandell & Davidson, P.C.
One Whitehall Street
New York, NY 10004

RE: The tariff classification a woman's blouse from China.

Dear Mr. Stack:

In your letter dated August 1, 1990, on behalf of your client, Women's Specialty Retailing, Casual Corner, Division of U.S. Shoe Corporation, you requested a tariff classification ruling.

The submitted sample, style number 01063, is a woman's pullover blouse which is cut and sewn from knit and woven fabrics. The knit fabric component is composed of 65% polyester and 35% cotton, and the woven fabric component is composed of 100% nylon. You estimate the visible surface area occupied by the woven fabric component to be 63%, with the knit fabric component occupying the remaining 37%. Please be advised that the figures you provide are subject to verification, through laboratory analysis, by U.S. Customs, upon importation of the merchandise.

The garment has long sleeves with rib-knit cuffs; a rib-knit crew neckline; a rib-knit waistband; and shoulder pads. The center panel on the front and back is constructed from knit fabric. Each panel extends from the shoulder seams to the top of the waistband and, at its widest point, exceeds the width of the crew neckline by only one inch (one-half-inch on either side). The lower portions of the sleeves, the waistband, cuffs, and crew neckline are also constructed from knit fabric. The four front and four rear panels, which flank the center (knit) panels, and the upper portions of the sleeves are constructed from woven fabric. The sample is being returned under separate cover. The applicable subheading for the garment will be 6211.43.0060, Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTS), which provides for other garments, women's or girls': of man-made fibers; blouses, shirts and shirt-blouses excluded from heading 6206. The rate of duty will be 17% ad valorem.

The garment falls within textile category designation 641. Based upon international textile trade agreements, products of China are subject to a visa requirement and quota restraints.

The designated textile and apparel category may be subdivided into parts. If so, visa and quota requirements applicable to the subject merchandise may be affected. Since part categories are the result of international bilateral agreements which are subject to frequent renegotiations and changes, to obtain the most current information available, we suggest that you check, close to the time of shipment, the Status Report On Current Import Quotas (Restraint Levels), an internal issuance of the U.S. Customs Service, which is available for inspection at your local Customs office.

This ruling is being issued under the provisions of Section 177 of the Customs Regulations (19 C.F.R. 177).

A copy of this ruling letter should be attached to the entry documents filed at the time this merchandise is imported. If the documents have been filed without a copy, this ruling should be brought to the attention of the Customs officer handling the transaction.


Jean F. Maguire
Area Director

Previous Ruling Next Ruling

See also: