United States International Trade Commision Rulings And Harmonized Tariff Schedule
faqs.org  Rulings By Number  Rulings By Category  Tariff Numbers
faqs.org > Rulings and Tariffs Home > Rulings By Number > 1993 NY Rulings > NY 880403 - NY 880596 > NY 880444

Previous Ruling Next Ruling
NY 880444

December 07, 1992

CLA-2-84:S:N:N1:103 880444


TARIFF NO.: 8419.89.1000

Mr. Walter E. Spiegel
Kilpatrick & Cody
Suite 800
700 13th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005

RE: The tariff classification of chemical/steam mixers from Sweden

Dear Mr. Spiegel:

In your letter dated November 12, 1992 on behalf of Sunds Defibrator, Inc. you requested a tariff classification ruling.

Literature furnished with your inquiry indicates that the model MEC single-shaft mixer is used in the cellulosic pulp bleaching process for mixing chemicals and/or steam into medium and high consistency pulp stock. The pulp stock enters the unit's stainless steel mixing chamber through a top vertical inlet, while steam enters the mixing chamber via 4-8 steam inlets located along its outer housing. Bleaching chemicals are added either prior to the mixer or through a connection at the pulp inlet. A motor shaft, comprised of steel journals welded to a steel tube, is used to thoroughly mix the chemicals and/or steam with the pulp stock. After mixing, the stock exits through an outlet on the bottom of the machine. The rotor is powered by an electric motor which may be located at the inlet or outlet end of the mixer. The model MEC mixer is available in four sizes which can process 200 - 900 tons of pulp per day.

You also inquired about the model OMA chemical/steam mixer. No literature on this mixer was provided; however, you indicated that it performs the same function but is physically larger than the MEC model mixer.

In your letter you stated that, in the United States, 75 percent of these mixers mix only steam and pulp stock. The remaining 25 percent are used to mix both steam and chemicals with the pulp stock. Therefore, the applicable subheading for the model MEC and OMA mixers will be 8419.89.1000, Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTS), which provides for machinery, plant or laboratory equipment, whether or not electrically heated, for the treatment of materials by a process involving a change of temperature such as...steaming...: other machinery, plant or equipment: other: for making paper pulp, paper or paperboard. The rate of duty will be 2.4 percent ad valorem.

This ruling is being issued under the provisions of Section 177 of the Customs Regulations (19 C.F.R. 177).

A copy of this ruling letter should be attached to the entry documents filed at the time this merchandise is imported. If the documents have been filed without a copy, this ruling should be brought to the attention of the Customs officer handling the transaction.


Jean F. Maguire
Area Director

Previous Ruling Next Ruling

See also: