United States International Trade Commision Rulings And Harmonized Tariff Schedule
faqs.org  Rulings By Number  Rulings By Category  Tariff Numbers
faqs.org > Rulings and Tariffs Home > Rulings By Number > 1991 NY Rulings > NY 0865623 - NY 0866020 > NY 0865884

Previous Ruling Next Ruling

NY 865884

August 14, 1991

CLA-2-62:S:N:N:3-I:360 865884


TARIFF NO.: 6206.30.3040

Mr. John M. Birt
County Seat Stores, Inc.
17950 Preston Road, Suite 1000
Dallas, TX 75252-5638

RE: The tariff classification of a woman's woven shirt from China.

Dear Mr. Birt:

In your letter dated July 3, 1991, resubmitted on July 31, 1991, you requested a classification ruling.

The submitted sample, style number 71-266, is a woman's shirt. The pink and the striped portions of the garment, which are not yarn-dyed, are constructed from 100% cotton poplin fabric, while the light-blue portion is constructed 100% cotton chambray fabric, which is yarn-dyed. You state that the poplin fabric occupies 61% of the shirt's visible surface area, with the remaining 39% occupied by the chambray fabric. The shirt has long sleeves with single-button cuffs; a full frontal opening secured by a six-button placket; a pointed collar with a collarband; front and rear yokes; two chest pockets; an inverted pleat on the back; and shoulder pads. The sample is being returned under separate cover.

The applicable subheading for the shirt will be 6206.30.3040, Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTS), which provides for women's or girls' blouses, shirts and shirt-blouses: of cotton: other: other: other: women's. The rate of duty will be 16.4 percent ad valorem.

The shirt falls within textile category designation 341. Based upon international textile trade agreements, products of China are subject to visa requirements and quota restraints.

The designated textile and apparel category may be subdivided into parts. If so, visa and quota requirements applicable to the subject merchandise may be affected. Since part categories are the result of international bilateral agreements which are subject to frequent renegotiations and changes, to obtain the most current information available, we suggest that you check, close to the time of shipment, the Status Report On Current Import Quotas (Restraint Levels), an internal issuance of the U.S. Customs Service, which is available for inspection at your local Customs office.

This ruling is being issued under the provisions of Section 177 of the Customs Regulations (19 C.F.R. 177).

A copy of this ruling letter should be attached to the entry documents filed at the time this merchandise is imported. If the documents have been filed without a copy, this ruling should be brought to the attention of the Customs officer handling the transaction.


Jean F. Maguire

Previous Ruling Next Ruling

See also: