United States International Trade Commision Rulings And Harmonized Tariff Schedule
faqs.org  Rulings By Number  Rulings By Category  Tariff Numbers
faqs.org > Rulings and Tariffs Home > Rulings By Number > 1991 NY Rulings > NY 0865623 - NY 0866020 > NY 0865832

Previous Ruling Next Ruling

NY 865832

August 20, 1991

CLA-2-62:S:N:N:3-I:360 865832


TARIFF NO.: 6208.21.0020

Ms. Lorraine M. Dugan
Associated Merchandising Corporation
1440 Broadway
New York, NY 10018

RE: The tariff classification of women's pajamas from Hong Kong.

Dear Ms. Dugan:

In your letter dated July 16, 1991, resubmitted on August 2, 1991, you requested a classification ruling.

The submitted sample, style number 68121, is a pair of women's pajamas. The upper part is styled like a shirt and, with the exception of the eyelet-embroidered yoke, is constructed from 100% cotton, printed, flannel (woven) fabric; the bottoms consist of pull-on pants and are constructed from 100% cotton, finely knit fabric. You state that the upper part constitutes 57.3% of the garment's total weight and has an actual value of $4.70, with the bottoms making up the remaining 42.7% of the total weight and having an actual value of $4.80. You further state that the two components will be packaged together and sold as a set in the sleepwear department.

Other features on the upper component include long sleeves with single-button cuffs; a full frontal opening secured by six buttons; a pointed collar; a left breast pocket; and a shirttail bottom. The bottoms have a fully elasticized waist. The sample is being returned under separate cover.

The applicable subheading for the pajamas will be 6208.21.0020, Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTS), which provides for women's nightdresses and pajamas of cotton. The rate of duty will be 9.5 percent ad valorem.

The pajamas fall within textile category designation 351. Based upon international textile trade agreements, products of Hong Kong are subject to visa requirements.

The designated textile and apparel category may be subdivided into parts. If so, visa and quota requirements applicable to the subject merchandise may be affected. Since part categories are the result of international bilateral agreements which are subject to frequent renegotiations and changes, to obtain the most current information available, we suggest that you check, close to the time of shipment, the Status Report On Current Import Quotas (Restraint Levels), an internal issuance of the U.S. Customs Service, which is available for inspection at your local Customs office.

This ruling is being issued under the provisions of Section 177 of the Customs Regulations (19 C.F.R. 177).

A copy of this ruling letter should be attached to the entry documents filed at the time this merchandise is imported. If the documents have been filed without a copy, this ruling should be brought to the attention of the Customs officer handling the transaction.


Jean F. Maguire

Previous Ruling Next Ruling

See also: