United States International Trade Commision Rulings And Harmonized Tariff Schedule
faqs.org  Rulings By Number  Rulings By Category  Tariff Numbers
faqs.org > Rulings and Tariffs Home > Rulings By Number > 1991 NY Rulings > NY 0853291 - NY 0853513 > NY 0853452

Previous Ruling Next Ruling

NY 853452

June 21, 1990

CLA-2-62:S:N:N3-I:360 853452


TARIFF NO.: 6211.49.0060

Ms. Lorraine M. Dugan
Associated Merchandising Corporation
1440 Broadway
New York, N.Y. 10018

RE: The tariff classification of a woman's blouse from Hong Kong.

Dear Ms. Dugan:

In your letter dated May 22, 1990, resubmitted on June 6, 1990, you requested a tariff classification ruling.

The submitted sample, style number 616, is a woman's pullover blouse. It is cut and sewn from knit and woven fabrics, both of which are composed of 55% ramie and 45% cotton. You state that the woven fabric component occupies 70% of the garment's visible surface area, with the remaining 30% occupied by the knit fabric component. The blouse has three-quarter- length sleeves with cuffs: a partial frontal opening secured by two buttons; a notched collar; small lapels; a front yoke; shoulder pads; and a ribbed waistband. The rear panel, sleeves (excluding the cuffs), yoke, collar, lapels, and the (rectangle- shaped) placket area, which measures approximately 10" x 4", are constructed from woven fabric. The front panel (excluding the placket area), waistband, and sleeve cuffs are constructed from knit fabric.

The applicable subheading for the garment will be 6211.49.0060, Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTS), which provides for other garments, women's or girls', of other textile materials, other: blouses, shirts and shirt-blouses excluded from heading 6206. The rate of duty will be 7.8 percent ad valorem

The garment falls within textile category designation 840. Based upon international textile trade agreements, products of Hong Kong are subject to a visa requirement.

The designated textile and apparel category may be subdivided into parts. If so, visa and quota requirements applicable to the subject merchandise may be affected. Since part categories are the result of international bilateral agreements which are subject to frequent renegotiations and changes, to obtain the most current information available, we suggest that you check, close to the time of shipment, the Status Report On Current Import Quotas (Restraint Levels), an internal issuance of the U.S. Customs Service, which is available for inspection at your local Customs office.

This ruling is being issued under the provisions of Section 177 of the Customs Regulations (19 C.F.R. 177).

A copy of this ruling letter should be attached to the entry documents filed at the time this merchandise is imported. If the documents have been filed without a copy, this ruling should be brought to the attention of the Customs officer handling the transaction.


Jean F. Maguire
Area Director

Previous Ruling Next Ruling