United States International Trade Commision Rulings And Harmonized Tariff Schedule
faqs.org  Rulings By Number  Rulings By Category  Tariff Numbers
faqs.org > Rulings and Tariffs Home > Rulings By Number > 1991 NY Rulings > NY 0853291 - NY 0853513 > NY 0853451

Previous Ruling Next Ruling

NY 853451

June 21, 1990

CLA-2-62:S:N:N3-I:360 853451


TARIFF NO.: 6211.49.0060

Ms. Lorraine M. Dugan
Associated Merchandising Corporation
1440 Broadway
New York, NY 10018

RE: The tariff classification of a woman's blouse from Hong Kong.

Dear Ms. Dugan:

In your letter dated June 7, 1990, you requested a tariff classification ruling.

The submitted sample, style number 643, is a woman's pullover blouse. It is constructed from knit and woven fabrics, both of which are composed of 55% ramie and 45% cotton. You state that the woven fabric component occupies 65% of the garment's visible surface area, with the remaining 35% occupied by the knit fabric component.

The blouse features short sleeves with turned-up cuffs; a partial, frontal opening secured by two buttons; a notched collar; small lapels; front and rear shoulder yokes; a patch pocket located on the left side of the chest; shoulder pads; and a ribbed waistband. The blouse also has contrast-colored capping on the sleeve cuffs and the collar; and piping, identical in all respects to the fabric used for the capping, sewn into the lower seam of each shoulder yoke and the seam running across the pocket. The rear panel, front and rear yokes, sleeves, lapels, pocket, and the placket area are constructed from woven fabric. The upper (visible) surface of the collar, front panel (excluding the placket), and the waistband are constructed from knit fabric.

The applicable subheading for the garment will be 6211.49.0060, Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTS), which provides for other garments, women's or girls', of other textile materials, other: blouses, shirts and shirt-blouses excluded from heading 6206. The rate of duty will be 7.8 percent ad valorem.

The blouse falls within textile category designation 840. Based upon international textile trade agreements, products of Hong Kong are subject to a visa requirement.

The designated textile and apparel category may be subdivided into parts. If so, visa and quota requirements applicable to the subject merchandise may be affected. Since part categories are the result of international bilateral agreements which are subject to frequent renegotiations and changes, to obtain the most current information available, we suggest that you check, close to the time of shipment, the Status Report On Current Import Quotas (Restraint Levels), an internal issuance of the U.S. Customs Service, which is available for inspection at your local Customs office.

This ruling is being issued under the provisions of Section 177 of the Customs Regulations (19 C.F.R. 177).

A copy of this ruling letter should be attached to the entry documents filed at the time this merchandise is imported. If the documents have been filed without a copy, this ruling should be brought to the attention of the Customs officer handling the transaction.


Jean F. Maguire
Area Director

Previous Ruling Next Ruling