United States International Trade Commision Rulings And Harmonized Tariff Schedule
faqs.org  Rulings By Number  Rulings By Category  Tariff Numbers
faqs.org > Rulings and Tariffs Home > Rulings By Number > 1991 NY Rulings > NY 0852906 - NY 0853097 > NY 0852915

Previous Ruling Next Ruling

NY 852915

June 7, 1990

CLA-2-62:S:N:N3-I:360 852915


TARIFF NO.: 6211.49.0060

Ms. Lorraine M. Dugan
Associated Merchandising Corporation
1440 Broadway
New York, NY 10018

RE: The tariff classification of a woman's blouse from Hong Kong.

Dear Ms. Dugan:

In your letter dated April 13, 1990, which was resubmitted on May 22, 1990, but not received until May 29, 1990, you requested a tariff classification ruling.

The submitted sample, style number 466, is a woman's pullover blouse. It is cut and sewn from knit and woven fabrics, both of which are composed of 55% ramie and 45% cotton. You have indicated, in a telephone conversation with a member of my staff, that the woven fabric component occupies 75% of the garment's visible surface area, with the remaining 25% occupied by the knit fabric component. The blouse has short sleeves with cuffs, a crew neckline, and a ribbed waistband. The entire rear panel, the sleeves, and the upper, left-side section of the front panel (which is roughly triangular in shape) are constructed from woven fabric; the remainder of the front panel, the neckline, the sleeve cuffs and the waistband are constructed from knit fabric. The sample is being returned under separate cover.

The applicable subheading for the blouse will be 6211.49.0060, Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTS), which provides for other garments, women's or girls', of other textile materials, other: blouses, shirts and shirt- blouses excluded from heading 6206. The rate of duty will be 7.8 percent ad valorem.

The blouse falls within textile category designation 840. Based upon international textile trade agreements, products of Hong Kong are subject to a visa requirement.

The designated textile and apparel category may be subdivided into parts. If so, visa and quota requirements applicable to the subject merchandise may be affected. Since part categories are the result of international bilateral agreements which are subject to frequent renegotiations and changes, to obtain the most current information available, we suggest that you check, close to the time of shipment, the Status Report On Current Import Quotas (Restraint Levels), an internal issuance of the U.S. Customs Service, which is available for inspection at your local Customs office.

This ruling is being issued under the provisions of Section 177 of the Customs Regulations (19 C.F.R. 177).

A copy of this ruling letter should be attached to the entry documents filed at the time this merchandise is imported. If the documents have been filed without a copy, this ruling should be brought to the attention of the Customs officer handling the transaction.


Jean F. Maguire
Area Director

Previous Ruling Next Ruling