See also 236. LANGUAGE .
- the practice or defect of incorrect spelling. —cacographer, n. —cacographic, cacographical, adj.
- a phonetic spelling system in which for each sound the letter or digraph most commonly found representing that sound is used.
- Rare. the study of nonphonetic spelling. —hetericist, n.
- 1. the practice of spelling in a way contrary to standard usage.
- 2. the use of the same letters or combinations of letters to represent different sounds, as in English tough and dough. —heterographic, heterographical, adj.
- 1. the art of writing words according to accepted usage; correct spelling.
- 2. that part of grammar that treats of letters and spelling.
- 3. a method of spelling. — orthographer, n. — orthographic, adj.
- any phonetic spelling, writing, or shorthand system. —phonog-rapher, phonographist, n. —phonographic, phonographical, adj.