See also 289. NATIONALISM .
- the act of renouncing upon oath, as by an alien applying for citizenship who renounces allegiance to a former country of nationality.
- the act of abandoning a person or cause to which one has an obligation or allegiance, especially accompanied by flight from one’s country. — defector, defectionist, n .
- 1. In the Feudal System, allegiance of a vassal to his lord.
- 2. allegiance.
- genuflection, genuflexion
- kneeling or bending the knee, especially in worship or reverence.
- a follower who obeys orders without question. — myrmidonian, adj .
- 1. a gesture of respect, as a bow.
- 2. homage or an act of homage. — obeisant, adj .