Strategies for skin care
Your skin type is determined by heredity, ethnic group, your hormone levels and your lifestyle, and will modify due to different changes in habits and age. The key to protect and to keep the skin supple is establishing a regular skin care routine depending on your skin type. We've put together specific recommendations; treatments and natural remedies based on the type of skin you have.
- • Clean the skin twice a day using a mild soap and water or appropriate skin product.
- • You can use a mild alcohol-free toner.
- • Use a light moisturizer in the morning and at night. Use a special eye cream or gel for the eyes.
- • Use sunblock when you go outside.
- • Special treatment. You can use a gentle exfoliant once or twice a week.
CLEANSING MASK FOR NORMAL SKIN
Make a paste with 2 teaspoons of brewer's yeast, mixed with 3 teaspoons of tepid spring water. Using a soft brush, apply a thin layer to the skin and leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse off completely with cold water.
- • Clean the face twice a day with a special cleansing product. Limit washing your face to two or three times a day (too much washing will stimulate your skin to produce more oil).
- • Use a light toner after cleansing.
- • After using a toner, apply an oil-free lotion. Use special gel or cream for the eyes.
- • If you have specific problems (like spots for example) start a special treatment with your dermatologist before the problem gets worse.
- • Use a non-greasy sun block.
- • Special treatments You can use an exfoliant cleanser once a week (only if you don't have acne), clay masks for oily skin and a facial steam once or twice a week.
NATURAL MASK FOR OILY SKIN
Mash 2 pears with a fork and apply the paste on the face. Leave on for 15 minutes and rinse off with fresh, cold water.
- • Use nondetergent, neutral-pH products to cleanse your skin once or twice daily. Avoid using any commercial soap.
- • Massage your face with a lotion or cream in the morning and at night, especially in the dry areas (try a dense nourishing cream at night).
- • When outside, use a high-grade sunblock.
- • Special treatment. You can use exfoliant products for dry skin (masks or facial steams) and moisturizing masks, once a week.
HERBAL MASK FOR DRY SKIN
Mix 1 teaspoon of rosemary, linden, camomile, thyme and parsley and cover with a layer of olive oil. Heat in a double boiler for 30 minutes and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Filter the herbs with gauze and place in a glass jar. Use every 15 days, as a moisturizing mask on the face, neck and chest. Rinse off after 1 hour.
SOFTENING MASK FOR THICK SKIN
Mash 5 large, ripe strawberries and mix with 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Apply the mixture on clean skin. Leave on for 20 minutes and rinse off with a cotton ball soaked in milk.
- • Cleanse the skin with a non-soap cleanser to prevent the dry areas from drying out and to stop over production of sebum.
- • Apply toner or a gentle astringent to the oily areas to improve the skin's texture.
- • Moisturize the entire face. If necessary use a lighter cream on oily areas.
- • Use a cream or gel for the eyes.
- • Use sunblock every time you're outdoors.
- • Special treatments. Use exfoliating products once or twice a week and a facial mask once a week.
- • Only use hypoallergenic products, to prevent allergic reactions or irritations.
- • Use a gentle moisturizing cream on the cheeks to prevent broken blood capillaries.
- • Use a daily hypoallergenic high-level sunscreen when outdoors.
SPECIAL CARE FOR MEN
Men's skin is very different from women's skin for three basic factors; thickness, firmness and sebum secretion. In general, men have oilier skin, with a greater amount of hair follicles. They have a thicker dermis, more collagen and greater elasticity; making it more firm, resistant and elastic. Even though the same factors affect male as female skin due to a number of cultural habits (shaving) and not taking care of the skin properly. A regular skin routine for men should include:
- • A daily deep cleansing with appropriate products.
- • Use facial moisturizers –nutrient, anti-wrinkle or oil free creams depending on your skin type.
- • Shave after showering and apply a cream to calm and refresh the skin.
- • Use sun block.
NATURAL MASK FOR COMBINATION SKIN
Mix 1 egg yolk with 1 teaspoon of raw honey and 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil; add 2 teaspoons of sugar and make a consistent mixture. Apply on the face and neck; allowing to dry for 15 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water. This treatment purifies and softens the skin's texture.
HOW TO APPLY MASKS AND CREAMS
1. Begin by applying cream to the neck, and continue spreading the cream using gentle massaging motion with your fingertips up to your chin.
2. Apply a little bit of cream on each cheek and spread the cream using your fingertips, moving from the high cheekbones to the eyes. Below your eyes, spread the cream using gentle pressure.
3. With your index and middle finger, spread the cream using a circular motion close to the temples.
4. Place a little bit of cream on the forehead above the eyebrows using your middle and index fingers, spreading it over the forehead to the temples.
5. Lastly, apply the cream using gentle pressure over your entire face with the fingertips of your index and middle fingers so that the cream completely penetrates the skin.
MASK FOR SENSITIVE SKIN
Mix 2 tablespoons of cream cheese with 1 tablespoon of cream and another tablespoon of beet juice. Apply over the entire face and neck, using a soft brush or with your fingertips. Leave on for ½ hour and rinse off with tepid water.