Purifying and protecting massages
Lymphatic draining massage is mainly made up of slow, circular movements applied to the lymphatic circulatory system. This technique helps to eliminate toxins from the body and increase the immune system to protect the organism from disease.
+ Lymph is a clear fluid that circulates around the body tissues. The lymphatic system consists of thin tubes that run throughout the body. These tubes are called lymph vessels. The tubes branch through all parts of the body like the arteries and veins that carry blood. The fluid, called lymph, flows through the lymphatic system to the biggest lymph vessel –the thoracic duct. The thoracic duct then empties back into the blood circulation.
As the blood circulates, fluid leaks out into the body tissues. This fluid is important because it carries food to the cells and waste products back to the bloodstream. The leaked fluid drains into the lymph vessels. The lymphatic system helps fight infection in many ways, making the function of the lymphatic system part of the immune system. Lymphatic massage is supposed to strengthen the performance of the immune system, cleaning and draining toxins from the lymph system. The lymphatic vessels are irrigated, stimulating the lymph movement and the flow of nutrients and oxygen in the area. This massage might be beneficial during PMS because along with the retention of liquids in the body, excess toxins are also accumulated, causing your ankles to swell, headaches and other discomforts. This massage is also recommended during post-menopause, because it promotes rejuvenation and weight loss. Lymphatic drainage facilitates relaxation and lowering of stress, it also acts favorably against cellulitis.
1. Begin by purifying the high chest area. Apply pressure with your fingertips and press 5 times, as if you were “pumping.”
2. Slide the palms of your hands to the area of the neck, making series of odd movements 3, 5, or 7. This massage opens the vessels to the lymph system.
3. Massage the armpits with the fingers stretched out. You can use three or four of your fingers.
4. Continue to massage the abdomen, placing one hand on top of the other. This will help to purify the intestinal system.
5. Continue to massage down the abdomen. Start on the left side, from the top, downward. The hands one on top of the other, applying gentle pressure.
6. On the area below the abdomen, massage with your fingers stretched out and pushing toward the center. This helps to prevent varicose veins and fight cellulitis.
7. Massage from the knee to the pelvis, pressing and releasing (pumping motion) 3 to 5 times on the knee, the middle of the thigh and the pelvis.
8. On the feet: on the top of the foot gently massage with the tips of your thumbs, in a circular motion.
OTHER RECOMMENDED MASSAGES
- • Quiromassage. Employs a brushing, pumping and kneading technique for relaxation. Quiromassage reduces fatigue and releases tension built up in the back and abdomen.
- • Neuro-physiological massage. Used to calm the nervous system, producing psychological relaxation, helping to fight stress.
9. Next, apply a ring of pressure on the top of the foot, as shown in the photo. This massage helps to reduce the accumulation of liquid that tends to build up in the area due to water retention.
10. Before the patient turns over, practice the previous series from below to the top. Once the patient turns over, start on the legs, applying gentle pressure with the palms of the hands on the calves.
11. Work on the arms, from the hands up to the shoulder. Purify the armpit by placing one hand over the other on the armpit. Apply pressure with your top hand.
12. Massage along the lower back with open hands. Before this step, it's recommended that you work on the sacrum area, so that the fluid in the buttocks flows to the pelvis.
Lymphatic drainage is not recommended for serious infections, heart problems, phlebitis, thrombosis, high blood pressure, skin infections, under active thyroid gland, bronchial asthma, cancer and symptoms of dizziness. This massage is recommended to treat PMS discomforts. It's best not to use this massage if you are suffering from irregular periods or during your period.