Re: lost post 26-Feb

---------

Balanone (Balanone@geocities.com)
Mon, 09 Mar 1998 12:38:11 -0800

Paul Theodoropoulos wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Balanone wrote:
> > To Support@2xtreme.net: The problem appears to be that some/many FAQ posts
> > in the news.answers and other newsgroups are not reaching a variety of
> > sites, including ours. This FAQ is automatically posted by the news.answers
> > FAQ server. Though the FAQ apparently reached the central rtfm.mit.edu
> > archive, it did not reach our ISP in ANY of the newsgroups it posts to
> > (news.answers, alt.satanism, alt.magick, and alt.pagan are the ones I
> > personally subscribe to, and it did not appear in those four).
> >
> > There are several people complaining on the FAQ maintainers mailing list
> > that they're not seeing their FAQs, or seeing just one or two pieces of a
> > multi-post FAQ.
> >
> > Is there anything you can do at 2xtreme.net to help identify where the
> > transmission breakdown might be occuring?
>
> The assumption is incorrect. We are receiving the posts fine - We have
> about thirty news peers worldwide, so it's extraordinary for us to miss an
> article. However, the anti-spam-bot on our server is apparently tossing
> them, likely due to being cross-posted/multiple-posted to more than eight
> newsgroups with the identical message ID, Subject, and/or body.
>
> Our anti-spam-bot is not unique, in fact it is in widespread use -
> dejanews uses it, and you will similarly fail to find the article there.
> We would recommend that the author not post FAQs in a manner identical to
> how spammers are ruining USENET. Obviously, the author is not spamming nor
> intending to spam. However, as more sites around the net adopt reasonable
> and prudent anti-spam measures similar to our own, fewer sites will be
> able to enjoy these posts, as they'll be tossed, sight unseen. Post in
> batches of two or three at a time - no site blocks at that low a
> threshold.
>
> For more information on our spambot, visit www.spamhippo.com. Spamhippo
> does not filter for content; it only acts upon specific posting
> behaviours.
>
> We will not be changing our policy in this regard. The overwhelming
> majority of customers prefer the terrific reduction in spam that is
> afforded by this spambot.

Dear Mr. Theodoropoulos,

FAQs mailed by the news.answer FAQ server often have a low frequency (mine
goes out monthly) and low newsgroup count (mine goes to 7 newsgroups, two of
which are *.answers groups approved by the news.answers moderators, once a
month). From everything I understand concerning spam and automated methods
of spam control (which I fully approve of), this frequency and newsgroup
count should not result in a spam identification. Yet apparently it did.
Why?

On the other hand, today I found:

From: Stephanie Howe <showe@brynmawr.edu>
Newsgroups: alt.irc, alt.magic, alt.life.internet, alt.manga, alt.models,
alt.mud, alt.music.pink-floyd, alt.noise, alt.pagan, alt.pantyhose,
alt.party, alt.paranormal, alt.prisons, alt.privacy, alt.psychoactives,
alt.sex, alt.sex.bestiality, alt.satanism, alt.scooter, alt.slack, alt.war,
alt.wired, alt.women.supremacy