Re: surround URLs by <URL: > ?

---------

era eriksson (era@iki.fi)
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 21:51:27 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997 10:28:48 -0800 (PST),
Steven Alexander <stevena@teleport.com> wrote:
> I had thought it advisable to surround URLs by <URL: >,
> but the several converters I've run into, e.g. the one at
> http://www.netmeg.net/faq/, don't recognize that convention,
> turning my
> <URL:http://www.teleport.com/~stevena/scrabble/faq.html>
> to a link to
> http://www.teleport.com/~stevena/scrabble/faq.html>
> Thanks for any help or pointers to where this problem is
> answered.

The URL spec recommends the use of URL: "where it might not be obvious
from the context" (paraphrasing from memory here) what sort of
reference this actually is. Personally, I have found that it is almost
never unclear from the context what is an URL and what is not. (There
will be borderline cases, but not very often.) The form I have in my
.signature appears to work well with most software. (YMMV)

Still, a prepended URL: ought to be something any decent converter
understands.

/* era */

Or are you saying that it actually gets it almost right but includes
the closing broket as part of the URL?

--
 Paparazzi of the Net: No matter what you do to protect your privacy,
  they'll hunt you down and spam you. <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam/>