Re: What do I do?


Charles R. MacDonald (
Sat, 17 May 1997 22:26:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Steve Summit wrote:
> Several people have suggested a cease-and-desist letter, and
> they're right. Furthermore, I'm thinking you could send a pretty
> convincing one without spending a cent: I'm sure that a few of us
> (conveniently, with U.S. addresses) could draft something
> beginning with "We represent Vincent Cheng..." which would have
> results just as swift and effective as a real lawyer's letter.
> (Or are there laws against impersonating a lawyer?)

I know that here in Ontario, It is against the law for anyone who is not
a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada to give ANY "Legal Advice".
I think it is legal for me to give my opinion that you should send one of
those "without pejudice" letters to the folks with the over-zellus cut
and paste. But if you want to "represent" someone, you should find the
rules from your local law-society or state bar..

*** Note the above is not legal advice since I AM NOT A LAWYER! ****

Charles MacDonald Stittsville Ontario
--- Just beyond the fringe ---
<a href="">homepage</a>
I Fear The Harris Government is Destroying Ontario