Re: Problems -- 8-bit characters triggering MIME

---------

Katie Schwarz (katie@physics.Berkeley.EDU)
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 17:38:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Pamela Greene wrote:

> Todd Lawson wrote:
>
> > Um, Eudora Pro (Mac). I've tried everything to turn of various
> > options, but it still hacks it up.
>
> Hmm. I'm sure there are other folks who've used Eudora for Mac
> successfully for this. If you haven't tried it already, turn off
> anything that looks like MIME or quoted-printable. Oh, also look
> through your submitted file and remove any 8-bit characters (accented
> letters, smart quotes, em dashes, etc.), since sometimes those will
> trigger automatic MIME encoding by some mailer along the way.

That must have been what happened to me. There were a couple of 8-bit
characters somewhere in the depths of the file that I was submitting to the
news.answers FAQ-checker. The FAQ-checker kept bouncing it because of MIME,
but after I finally found the 8-bit characters and removed them, it passed.

You should probably put a warning about this in the news.answers
guidelines.

I maintain my FAQ in HTML, and use the "Save as text" function of the
browser to make the plain text version. Does anyone know a way to make it
not use 8-bit characters in the text?

Thanks,
Katie Schwarz