Re: Problems

---------

Nick Zitzmann (nickzman@eskimo.com)
1 Aug 97 00:13:47 -0700

On Thu, Jul 31, 1997 3:23 PM, Todd C. Lawson <mailto:tlawson@amug.org>
wrote:
> 1. I've divided my faq into two parts. As a result, I need to change
the
> archive name from personalities/sandra-bullock to
> personalities/sandra-bullock/site-list and
> personalities/sandra-bullock/sandyfaq. Is this going to be a problem?
> More parts will likely follow.

When I first split my FAQ into two parts, I just notified the news.answers
moderators about my intentions to do so, and then sent both parts of the
FAQ to them while continuing to post the single-part FAQ in the meantime.
After about a week or so, I got mail back from Pamela Greene, telling me
that the split FAQ was approved. The rest is history...

> 2. Because of the name switch, I've been trying to submit my faqs to the
> moderation team. My mailer parses attempts at mailing to them to death.
> So, I tried using my newsreader to post to news.answers. My newsreader
> hiccuped after it said "Post Sent, confirming," and said that it couldn't
> find a sendmail file it was looking for. I don't know if any of my
> outbound attempts passed. (I received no auto-acks, so I'm assuming no.)
> If they didn't, what should I do?

Are you using Windows or a Mac to do so? Do you have access to a Unix host?
If both are true, take my advice and use Unix utilities to post your FAQ.

For posting my FAQ, I use Tin. Tin allows you to customize the headers and
has no real limit on how large a posting can be. I don't have anything in
place to automatically post my FAQ yet, so I'm still trucking along just
fine with Tin.

(Side note: Yes, I know that some people on my ISP, eskimo.com, have
scripts set up to send their FAQ automatically through a crontab entry. But
I have no idea how to use them yet... I tried auto-faq, but all I get back
is dead letters. Something about the news spool not having enough disk
space, yet posting messages normally works fine.)

Nick Zitzmann No WWW page at this time.
(Resident Macintosh Tweaker)
Windows 95:
From the people who brought you