Re: Dealing with requests for faq by e-mail

---------

Pat Berry (pat@berry.Cary.NC.US)
Mon, 30 Jan 95 00:56:47 EST

Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de> writes:

> > > What approaches do other people take when getting [send-me-your-FAQ]
> > > requests like this? I sometimes feel I've got a mail list going as a
> > > side business.
> >
> > I used to reply to these, but now I just ignore them. I've put a note
> > in the FAQ to the effect of "I am not a mailserver" and a pointer to
> > FTP and rtfm, and that seems to have done the trick.
>
> Oh my, what's the problem with that? I've set up my system in a way that
> replying with the FAQ needs a minimum of three mouse clicks and one keystroke

[. . .]

> Or is it a IP volume / phone costs problem for you?

Yes. Sending email costs me money. I don't mind doing it for people
who really need my help, but most of the ones who ask me to mail them
the latest FAQ are just too lazy to get it themselves.